Herpes Community

Acyclovir-How Long To Feel Effects From Brain Surgery?

Around 3 1/2 yrs. ago I (F,37) had a hemorrhagic stroke due to burst cavernous hemgioma with subsequent brain surgery to remove it. (Only solu-medrol was given to reduce swelling.)  It was a mild stroke, but I still have many deficits (double-vision, ataxia, etc).  After trying many drugs and therapies, my Neurologist is at a loss.
I have the HSV-1 virus and was doing some research on how the virus can be reactivted during brain surgery.  I have posed this to my Neurologist and she prescribed Acyclovir (400 mg 5x/day orally).  She prescibed it for 14 days.  I have taken it for five days with no results.  If this were to be effective, would the recovery signs start to show by now? What is the normal length of time, in this case, for the virus to again become dormant and the drug be effective?
I"m confused - your surgery was 3 1/2 years ago but you started acyclovir now?  do I have that correct?  Have you been having cold sores more frequently or something?

grace
You are correct.  The hospitaI only controlled the brain swelling, but did not give me an anti-viral medication.  I do have HSV-1 and I've had more cold sores directly before menstruation.  The deficits from my stroke never subsided and my Neurologist is at a loss why I haven't recovered.
My theory is that the hemangioma burst from the brain swelling due to the HSV-1 (I've now had two strokes, both occurring right before my period.)  I posed this to my Neurologist to where she prescribed Acyclovir in hopes of it making the virus dormant again and that I fully recover.  Do you know of any articles/experiences where an anti-viral helped after so much time has passed?
It would be way too late at this point for antivirals to have any effect if hsv1 even had anything remotely to do with what went on at that time :(  hsv is not active 24/7/365 and even if it was the cause of what went on, it wouldn't still be making things worse for you. It activates and then goes into remission.  

If you are having cold sores more frequently - either go with the cold sore dose of one of the antivirals at the very first sign of one starting or if you are having them monthly and they are sure they are cold sores and not something else, consider suppressive therapy to try to reduce the number of cold sores you are having over all.  a 2 week course isn't really going to do anything for cold sores as far as preventing them from reoccuring so often.

Does that make sense?

grace
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.