Herpes Community

Aldara

I started using Aldara to address an issue of a large area of "pinched skin". When prescribed the Aldara, my doctor didn't make me concerned about this area as being anything unusual or not normal. A few days after using the Aldara, I began to form sores and redness in that area as well as on my genitals. A GYN said I had herpes and sent out a culture. I'm waiting for the results. However, she didn't want to discuss the possibility of the Aldara causing the reaction.

Has anyone else experienced this? Because I've never had symptoms of Herpes and the doctor scared me tremendously.
I'm not sure why you were given aldara for pinched skin. it's a treatment for genital warts and molluscum.  

Aldara is very irritating to the genital skin. It's very common for the symptoms you've described to occur. ruling out herpes is never a bad idea but odds are it's due to the aldara. I'd get a 2nd opinion on the area you were using the aldara on and not continue using it until you get a better diagnosis than what you were evidently given the first time.

grace
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.