Herpes Community

Antibodies

My blood tested positive for HSV 1 antibodies, but I have never had a cold sore anywhere on my body at any time in my life.

I have read that testing positive for the antibodies doesn't necessarily mean you're a carrier or able to spread it, it just means that at some point in your life, you encountered the virus and your body created antibodies to fight it off.

Is this accurate?
No, it's not accurate. It means you have HSV1. Once you have herpes, it's for life, there's no cure and it doesn't go away on it's own.

In the absence of symptoms, most likely you have oral herpes, along with the majority of adults. It's incredibly common, and most of us won't make it to the old folks home without it.

You can read more about oral herpes here:
http://www.ashastd.org/herpes/herpes_learn_oralherpes.cfm
what were your actual blood test results? ie hsv1 igg 4.4 or whatever they were.

grace
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.