Herpes Community

Chance of Transmission?

I have genital HSV1. About 3 days ago I had oral and vaginal sex with a man without protection. Today I saw 2 sores and I'm worried I've infected him! When I initially got the test back (positive for genital HSV1) about 1.5 years ago, my doctor said I should watch genital contact but oral is fine since most people have HSV1 anyway. But since this is the first time I've been sexually active, I'm very worried.

My initial outbreak 1.5 years ago was horrible and I had flu-like symptoms. Right now, each side of my labia has a sore. There is no itching, tingling, discomfort, or flu-like symptoms.

So am I having an outbreak? And should I be worried about my partner?

Can you clarify some things. In your post you mention that you had an outbreak a year and a half ago but then you say that this episode was the first time you were sexually active. How did you get genital HSV1 then?

In any case, I think you need to talk to your partner the potential risk and let him decide how he wants to deal with it.

The good news that it is less likely to contract HSV1 on the genitals than HSV2.
I apologize. This is the first time I'm sexually active since my diagnosis.
Ah ok, got it.

Another question. Are the two sores you saw today  an outbreak?

That's also what I am confused about. Initially I thought they were ingrown hairs since they had a whitish top and were fairly small. There is no clustering of sores, no pain, or other symptoms so I'm not even sure if this is an outbreak.
Ok, the reason I asked was because the chance to infect goes up right before an outbreak because of increase viral shedding. So keep an eye on it. It does not sound like an outbreak but just be vigilant.

Also, if this is a current stable partner then be sure to use condoms for every sex act. You may also want to talk to your doctor about using some antivirals.
Thanks for your help! I will!
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.