Cold sore from kissing?

Recently my lips have been burning. I kissed a girl many times including a french kiss (saliva) about 24 days ago. I asked her if she's ever had cold sores and she stated yes. She said her last cold sore was approximately 5 years ago. When I kissed her there were no sores present. What's the chances of getting HSV1 cold sores infection from someone who doesn't have any sores present on there lips?  Can the virus be spread from saliva in the mouth and if so how likely would it spread to me if her last sore was five years ago? What should I be on the lookout for if I indeed catch the virus?

I haven't had any sores appear but my lips have been hurting a lot, especially on my top lip on the left and right corners. On my top lip as well, a spot about approximately ¼ of an inch has burned and now has dead skin on it, might be dry/chapped lips. When I put chapstick on it, it feels like new skin.
I don't know a ton about this but I would say don't worry about it too much.  HSV-1, from what I have read, has infected 90% of American Adults, most get the virus during childhood and it can be spread from kissing, sharing utensils, etc.  Getting it really isn't a big deal, from you describe though it seems as though you just have chapped lips.
It sounds more like you just have chapped lips. If you think it's more than that, go and be seen and get properly evaluated.

The number of cold sores someone has had and how often they get them has no bearing at all on the likelihood of contracting hsv1 from them.  the virus is still active periodically in between obvious cold sores too.

Not sure how old you are but by the time we are in our late teens, early 20's, about 1/3 - 1/2 of us have hsv1 orally whether we can recall obvious cold sores or not. You can also inquire about a type specific herpes igg blood test for yourself too to see if you already have hsv1 and never knew it.

grace
Thanks for the replies. I personally hope but don't think it's just chapped lips. I've had chapped lips many times before and they never burned. There's been a few times they've been so chapped they'd bleed. A little bit of chap stick always fixed that problem. With the recent things on my lips, chap stick only has moisturized them that's it.

I'm 26.
This also means if I did indeed get HSV-1, I can't kiss others unless I want to risk the chance of infecting them with HSV-1. I'd say that's the worst part besides not know what is going on with my lips.
You are not contagious 24/7/365 with oral herpes. It's not a reason to stop kissing folks, it's a reason to be informed about what you are infected with and take any precautions with a partner you both think are necessary. Just avoiding kissing when you have active symptoms, really does go a long way.

Don't just use chapstick, slather your lips with good ole vaseline at bedtime and use chapstick during the day. Loads of other more pricey products out there too to try but vaseline is cheapest.

grace

You are reading content posted in the Herpes Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.