Herpes Forum

Confused about IGG Results - False Pos?

Hello Terri.

Approximately 1 year ago I was tested for HSV 1 & 2 through Herpeselect IGG with the following results.  Test was done 9 weeks post possible exposure:  Positive for HSV 1, which I already knew (cold sores about once a year as a kid) and negative for HSV 2 (I didn't get the numbers).

At 13 weeks post possible exposure I tested again.  Results:

HSV 1: >5
HSV 2: 1.18

After learing that this could be false positive, I had a Biokit done at 13.5 - 14 weeks post.  It was Negative.

Then at 5.5 months post I had another Herpeselect IGG test.  Results:

HSV1: >5
HSV 2: .09

Last week (a full year past potential exposure) I had what I suppose could be prodrome symptoms - just very minor itching at the top of my buttock crack/tailbone.  The next day, I noticed a very small red spot in the center of my crack, above the tailbone near the top of the crack..  It did not turn into any kind of sore or blister, wasn't raised, just a tiny splotch/mark about half the size of a pencil erasure.  I don't know if it was there when I had the slight itching, or came up after.  The mark remained for about a week or so.  Didn't change, hurt, or feel like anything at all.  I decided I'd take another test, hoping I could clear this issue once and for all, and put my mind at ease for good, as it has given me quite a bit of anxiety.  Results:

HSV 1: >5
HSV 2: 1.18

What are your thoughts?
My thoughts are that you are very unlikely to be infected with HSV 2.  However, I think it would be worth your time, trouble and money to get a herpes western bot.  This will be definitive for you at this time.  If you really did have HSV 2, your third value would have gone, up not down, I believe.  My strong feeling is that when you get the western blot, it will be negative for HSV 2, but positive for HSV 1, as this test is.    If you do it through Quest labs, the code you want is 34534.  The symptoms that you describe don't sound consistent with herpes to me.  Will you let me know what you find out?

Terri
Thanks Terri. What about biokit instead of western blot?  Would that be conclusive?
No, I don't think so.  I think Biokit would help, but not be definitive.

Terri
Hello Dr. Warren. Last week I had what I guess was my first outbreak. It started as one bump that looked like an in grown hair and then became more bumps and became clusters and painful lesions. I went to the doctor, she took a culture for herpes 2 and it came back postive. I have only had one partner which was my bf of four years and we had broken up two days prior. I contacted him and he did a hsv 2 blood test and his igg came back negative and so he says he didnt give it to me. Is it possible he transmitted it to me and I had an outbreak but he didn't? He had what looked like one small bump almost like a scratch in his genital area but no other sympoms and says he's  had that for a while and goes away. Should he repeat the blood test and do igm testing for present infection. also would it be possible that he had herpes for four yrs without transmitting it to me although his igg is negative? Please help!
If you've only had one partner and you are positive for HSV 2 by swab test, then you got it from him.  Either he is lying or he had sex with someone else and contracted herpes recently or he is one of the few who don't make detectable antibody.  IgM testing is useless.  If you have more question, you really need to make a new post, that's the board rules around here, sorry!
Terri
Hi again.  OK, I want to take your advice and get a Western blot, but not sure how to go about it.  I am currently uninsured, but OK paying for the test directly.  Also, if at all possible, I would like to maintain anonymity if negative (if positive, of course I would disclose).  Do you know how I can accomplish this?  Do you know of any pay-for-service clinics, etc, in California (preferably Northern, SF Bay Area but could do San Diego too as I have a trip planned there) where one can get a Western Blot?  All of my IGG tests have been through TSTD online(who, by the way, are either not informed about the false positive risk of the test, or choose not to acknowledge it).  I am making myself physically sick with this.... stress, anxiety, shame.... I really want to know one way or the other and figure out how to move on.

Thanks Terri.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.