Cortisone injection allows Herpes II infection?

Hi, I have had 3 cortisone injections for nasal swelling and pain due to allergies.  I have also been on Acyclovir for a year, to manage Herpes II infection.  Also have sudden hearing loss and tinnitus in R ear diagnosed as viral, possibly herpes.  After the last cortisone injection in January '09, I am having a genital herpes flareup which does not seem to be responding to Famcyclovir treatment.  Also sores in my mouth.  Am I possibly having a Herpes flareup due to the cortisone injections?  What could have triggered this? Is it possible I have developed tolerance for Famclir so that it is not effective? signed - F in Texas
i doubt you have developed a tolerance for famvir. I believe cortisone can affect the immune system, and it's very probable that it's causing an ob. The sores in your mouth may be cankers, which are related to stress and immune system overload.

Talk to your doc and see if you can get off that cortisone!
I do know that Cortisone can trigger a Herpes outbreak,if you need to have more you should explain to your Doctor about it causing your HSV to start up there may be something else that can be done to prevent this from happening I don't know though,you would really need to discuss this with your Doctor.

Daisy  
Thanks for taking the time to write
- What is the abbreviation - "ob" that you used?

I am hoping the genital sores are cankers also.  My medical person told me she thinks it is genital herpes but there are sores, but no clear blisters.  Is it possible to have canker sores in the genital area?  there is no discharge, and no odor,  just sores that I cannot see, like little pea sized knots, terrible itching all over the area, itching moving into urethra, and burning on urination plus burning of the sores on urination.  My phys assistant says herpes over the phone, told me to increase famvir and use an acyclovir cream.  I am still waiting to see if there is a result.
You need to call your obgyn monday and make an appointment to be seen as soon as possible. Get tested for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally for starters.

Acyclovir cream is not useful for herpes recurrences and this is plainly stated in the prescribing info. it really doesn't do anything for speeding healing and is overpriced.

what dose of famvir are you taking currently?

grace
Thanks for quick response.

Last cortisone injection was Feb 5. The doc was aware I have herpes in my ear and HSV2.  I did not know that it was a concern or I woudl have asked more about it.

Friday my PA made a quick telephone diagnosis based on symptom report.  I have been taking  500 mg tabs of Famvir, 2/day for about 1 wk, then infection came up Thursday,  Itching around labia majoris, bumps/ knots in the skin the size of lentils but I could not see them. Can not see vesicles. They burn on urination and hurt (pressure) but there is no nerve pain. I had sharp pains in my groin on Thursday night which have subsided.  No discharge and no odor now altho strong odor on Wednesday night, before outbreak. It literally felt like it was getting worse by the minute. I was scratching mons venus and labia majoris almost uncontrollably for 2 days. Acyclovir cream seems to have helped altho who knows what helped.

I have taken Acyclovir for about  a year (generic is cheapest) then swithced to Famvir about ten days ago bec insurance will cover it and itching seemed to be worse in genital area.  I also have shingles (R leg) which is dormant, and ear infection which otiologist says is probably herpes but unconfirmed.  High blood titer, don't know which test.

I am suspecting that it is not herpes.  Is it possible to have HSV2 outbreak with no visible vesicles,  after a week of Famvir?  THANKS for your expertise adn willingness to share it.
I know that EVERY time I get an OB, I get some other kind of bacterial infection that makes it worse, and 99% of the time it's bacterial vaginosis.  It's a very strong odor, like a fishy smell.  For some reason I compare it to rotting cabbage.

But like Grace said, definitely get w/ your OBGyn and schedule and appt.
Ob = outbreaks. Because we are cool folks and love our abreviations ^_^
I went to my PA for my ObGyn today, as you recommended, and she is pretty sure I don't have Herpes.  No nerve pain.  There is a rash over the whole area, kind of raw red skin.  The Acyclovir cream seems to calm it down, don't know why. She took cultures and sent them off, thinks it is bacterial/ yeast or both.

Thanks for your support and very helpful information.
BTW,  my blood test was 10.5 for the IgG test, for HSV2, which my PA says is high. I am continuing to take Famvir 500 mg 2X per day.
The acyclovir cream is very soothing sometimes to rashes because of the cream itself, not whats in it. I'm glad you got a further work up done and hopefully you can better answers as to what is going on soon!

grace

You are reading content posted in the Herpes Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.