Herpes Community

Could I have herpes?

I am a male and had unprotected sex with a girl 2 nights ago, and since the morning after, I have been experiencing a low grade burning sensation in my penis with slight redness at the very tip. I went to a walk in clinic today to do a urine test and swab, but the doctor told me she thinks it is just a yeast infection. However, last night I felt a bit of malaise but I'm wondering if it's just my anxiety because all I can think of is the scare of herpes. The girl I had sex with has been with many partners before me so I am really worried. Does this sound like herpes or a yeast infection?  
It's very possible that you do have a yeast infection. Herpes won't show up that quick.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Totally agree with Tickiemctickface. Herpes symptoms take at least 2 days to show up. If your partner had a yeast infection, it's possible you got that.

If you are having sex with casual partners, and aren't using condoms, any one of them could transmit an STD. Yes, obviously the more partners one has the higher the likelihood of having an STD, but please don't fool yourself into thinking that those who have only had a couple of partners aren't a risk. It only takes one time.

I'm not sure why herpes is scaring you more than anything else, but unprotected sex means that you are at risk for all other STDs - gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis, NGU, HPV, and HIV.

You can test for gonorrhea, chlamydia and NGU at about 5 days post exposure.

You can test for syphilis at 6 weeks post exposure, though it can take up to 3 months, so if you have any unusual symptoms, you might want to test again at 3 months.

You can take a 4th generation HIV test at 28 days.

If you test for herpes, do a type specific IgG blood test. Most will test positive by 6 weeks, but it can take up to 4 months.

If you've ever had unprotected sex before, test for everything now, and again at the appropriate times for this exposure if they are negative now.  

I don't mean to scare you more than you are now, but people get fixed on one thing, and forget there are other things they need to test for.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.