Herpes Community

Could this be herpes?

June 22nd:

Made out with random girl I don't know.  She had no sign of a cold sore.

June 23rd:

A few hours after making out bumps on back of tongue, sore throat, and tingling lips. (She was wearing a lot of perfume, and I tasted it, could that be the cause of later symptoms as well)

June 24:

Achy, no appetite, sore throat, dizzy.  Two red spots on neck. (Doctor later said red spots were nothing).

June 25:

Went to doctor.  Told him symptoms.  Said red spots were nothing and swollen bumps on tongue were inflamed papillae.  He gave me a strep throat culture and came back negative.  Said there was nothing to worry about.

June 26:

Woke up achy and felt warm but my temperature was only 97.8.  I felt better after I took a shower.  Sore throat but went away later, papillae still inflammed.  Part of lip started tingling and turning red but felt better and color faded when I applied chapstick.  Later on there was a black spot on my tongue and I squeezed it, blood came out and the spot was barely visible afterwards.

Later that night I felt fine and there didn't seem to be any symptoms except a minor soar throat.
you wouldn't experience symptoms of a newly acquired oral herpes infection within hours.

have you ever been tested for herpes to know your own status?

grace
No.  I've never had a cold sore from what I remember though.
only 20-40% of folks who have hsv1 orally, get obvious cold sores to know it.

you and a partner can't make educated decisions about what precautions to take until you know who has what. if you've never been tested for herpes before, while it's on your mind, good time to do it :)
June 28: Update - All of my symptoms are gone except the bumps on the back of my tongue.  My lip feels a little tingling and red but I have been licking them a lot.  Also Chapstick makes it feel a little better.  Is it probably nothing?
bumps on the back of the tongue are normal and aren't std related.

as I said, a newly acquired oral herpes infection won't present with symptoms that quickly.
Thank you very much.  I was pretty worried there for a while but you put my mind at ease.  I really appreciate your input.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.