1. Can a person contract herpes at the penis and have symptoms manifest on the anus?
It would be extremely unlikely that you would acquire genital herpes in this situation. Just not enough contact.
2. Does the symptom sound like herpes might be the cause? The reason I am asking is because for the week prior to and until that encounter I had some constipation problems due to diet change while overseas and in the past I did have anal hemorrhoid a couple of times and this feels more or less the same. And the same night I might have been too vigorous wiping with the tissue.
If you had contracted new genital herpes, I would expect the first lesions to be present on the penis, not the anus, and they symptoms area usually not at all what you are writing about. If you truly still have a bump that concerns you, I would advise that you have someone look at it and swab test it if they think it is appropriate.
3. Can symptoms for herpes show up as early as 12 hours?
Not that I have ever in my practice seen. The earliest I have seen symptoms is about 48 hours from the contact.
4. What are the chances of catching herpes (and HIV) in that single encounter?
5. Would you suggest that I go for tests? I read that the virus will not be detected until at about 3 months.
If you were my patient, I would not recommend that you get tested based on this encounter, no. I really wouldn't.
Thank you very much. You have put my mind at ease. I can't imagine that I have put me and my family in such a risky situation. I am sorry the questions that I asked you must have answered a million times.
Thanks again and keep up the good work!
It's fine, it's why I am here!