Herpes Community

Genital Herpes vs. Fungal Infection

I had unprotected oral sex 3 weeks ago. Two days later, I had a terrible sore throat and fever. It took about 2 days to get over. Two weeks after those symptoms, I woke up with a burning sensation in my inner right thigh. The feeling eventually moved down my right leg. It felt like a pretty bad sunburn. Then red bumps starting forming just above my buttocks. I saw a doctor who diagnosed it as a fungal infection similar to jock's itch. Since then, more red bumps have appears on my outer right thigh. After surfing the web, I'm convinced I have genital herpes. I made an appointment in a couple of days to see another doctor as well as get tested.

My question is this: is jock's itch and genital herpes infections commonly mistaken for each other? I told the doctor I was concerned it was viral and that I was sexually active but he said it was fungal.
it's too late now for a lesion culture which is what you would want done.

this doesn't sound like it's herpes going on. did you treat for the fungal infection yet?

grace
I've been using Lotrinum Ultra for the past 3 days. No real improvement in appearance but the leg burning is gone and the lesions/bumps don't hurt or itch.
give it some more time :)
New diagnosis of shingles. Which has me even more worried it could be genital.
the odds that you'd have shingles is pretty low. did they do a lesion culture?
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.