Herpes Community

Genital Herpes

I would like to know if herpes outbreaks has anything to do with your eating habits and if you are under stress. The reason why I'm asking this question is because I have had herpes outbreaks for about two years and five months. I mistaken it for genital warts because I was diagnosed with that about twelve years ago and thought I was having a outbreak of warts but it turned out to be genital herpes.I was in denial so I refused to take medication for my outbreaks for a long time. I didn't start taking medication until June 2010.The whole time I was using aldara, Trichloracetic acid, podifilox, and condylox thinking it was genital warts and I continued to have outbreaks every couple of weeks to once a month. I went back to the clinic when I had a bad outbreak in April 2010 and she said that it was herpes and my results came back as genital herpes. I started treatment in June 2010 and I was outbreak free until september. I started feeling tingling and itching I went back to the clinic for a prescription and I've been on daily suppressive theraphy acyclovir ever since September 2010. My outbreaks are decreasing I don't think I have had an outbreak for about 2 months know before it was every couple of weeks to once a month. At the time I was eating lots of junk food and under lots of stress and wasn't taking medication when I first started having outbreaks. Like I said I didn't start taking medication until June 2010. I was using the wrong medications for almost two years could this be the reason why I was having excessive outbreaks because I started medication late.
daily suppressive therapy should keep recurrences few and far between for you :)
We already discussed in your previous post that most folks do not have dietary triggers and also that stress isn't a trigger for ob's consistently.  

you have to suppress the virus in order to prevent it. you were irritating your genital area by wrongly treating it with warts treatments as well as not treating properly for herpes. explains quite a lot actually. Now you are properly treating your infection so ob's are less frequent.  Not treating your herpes initially wasn't an issue other than it made you more uncomfortable. treating your herpes from the gitgo doesn't result in less ob's long term or anything like that.

grace
Grace I appreciate your input you helped me out a lot and I want to thank you for informing me about HSV2. It's just that it's a very aggravating disease and you could never stop asking questions because this virus is very tricky the reason why I'm saying tricky is because the symptoms come and go as well as the outbreaks and it just attacks your body so quickly and it makes you restless and feel fatigue sometimes I don't have energy to do anything. This virus makes you feel rundown when I feel an outbreak getting ready to come on I usually get stressed and upset. But I don't feel that way anymore I deal with my virus and try not to stress about it because it will only make matters worse. Thank you grace.
Grace I would like to know the difference between HSV1 and HSV2. Do HSv1 just produce cold sores and not lesions in the private area..Grace I'm still a little unsure HSV2 genital herpes produce lesions in the private areas. I have lesions in my private areas so my type would be HSV2 right. Grace another thing I want to know about my initial outbreak that I experienced in August 2008 do you know if I could of contracted the std years ago before I experienced the outbreak. I'm not sure could you have the virus for years before developing an outbreak or could you get an outbreak in as little as a few days to a month. For Example if I had intercourse in July 2008 and contracted the virus at that time would I have an outbreak the next month.
you can have either hsv1 or hsv2 genitally ( or orally ).  

You can be infected for years before you start to notice the symptoms of recurrences or you could notice symptoms from a few days after being infected.

the herpes handbook is free and has lots of good info if you've never read it - www.westoverheights.com.

grace
Hi Grace I would like to know if I stop taking suppressive therapy for my genital herpes outbreaks what is the likelihood that i would get another outbreak I know that it tends to vary
but would you be able to tell me the time frame  I can expect to see an outbreak.

The reason why I am asking is because I spoke to a LPN about my condition and I asked her some questions about HSV1 and HSV2 oral and genital we talked about transmission and all.

I had a question about suppressive therapy that I take everyday and has been on for the past 5 months now.I wanted to know if I discontinue the medication do your outbreaks start all over again as if you weren't taking the meds to began with.Is it true that yo9ur levels of HSV2 start to cause flareups.

I was told by the LPN to stop taking my acyclovir and see what happen she assured me that I will not experience an outbreak unless it was time for my period.

But I don't want to discontinue my suppressive therapy acyclovir at this time although I thought about it I don't want to get an outbreak. I started out with outbreaks once a week and then it was twice a month I don't want this to happen again.

My LPN told me that she has HSV1 genital and she is not on any medication and she hardly ever get an outbreak only when her period is about to come on. Is it true the reason why our outbreaks are different is because we have different types. Do HSV1 genital produce lesser symptoms than HSV2.
yes, your ob's return to their previous pattern most times. All suppressive therapy does is keep the virus from reproducing as much when it's active so that it's less likely to cause obvious lesions/shedding on the skin. The virus is still just as active as usual the whole time, just the medication keeps it from producing obvious symptoms and reproducing as much to cause viral shedding on the skin ( which can result in transmission to a partner ). You stop taking suppressive therapy, the virus continues to reoccur as previous just now you don't have the acyclovir every day in your body to keep it under better control.  

I don't think the person you talked to knows enough about herpes from the sounds of things :(  For most women their periods have nothing to do with ob's and if you are trying to prevent transmission to a partner, your period has nothing to do with that either.   hsv1 genitally hardly does reoccur - that's its typical pattern.  
Grace the person I talked to works at planned parenthood as a Licensed Practical Nurse I talk to her about STDS and I find her information helpful. Grace I experienced an outbreak before and even during the time of my period but you said it has nothing to do with your period. Was it just an outbreak was getting ready to come on.However you did mention that once the suppressive therapy is stopped your outbreaks return to previous pattern. I remember when I was taking acyclovir for episodes in June 2010 I stopped taking it and then I started feeling symptoms in September so that was when I decided to take is suppressive therapy. I'm still taking suppressive therapy because I want to have lesser to no outbreaks and it seem to be working pretty good. Although I do think about stopping sometimes to see how my outbreaks change. But when I started taking it in June 2010 for episodes it helped me for 2 months being that I have been taking it for 5months do you think my outbreaks would be less.
Hello Grace I would like some advice pertaining to my post thank you.
While you want advice please remember we are volunteers and as such we don't always get on the fourms to check what is going on.

Grace has answered your question before.  You are asking the same thing over.  Read her last reply for your answers.  
I would like to know about suppressive therapy acyclovir.I am taking suppressive therapy from the things that I have read I'm not sure about some things. I would like to know is suppressive therapy only for those individuals that are in a relationship. I want to know is it okay to take suppressive therapy even if you are not in a relationship with someone.
You get to choose if you want to take the therapy or not.  If you don't want to you don't have to.  It helps when you are with a partner to lessen the risk of transmission to them and lessen your amount of outbreaks/make them shorter.  

You make the ultimate decision.  we don't answer moral questions much here.  If you want to stop its your choice.  Your outbreak pattern question was answered previously.  Its up to your partner to stay or go if you cease therapy.  
Thank you for informing me about my situation.
Another thing was my information really that off you mentioned that in a post to another individual that talked about genital herpes what was off about me information.
Your information sometimes is incorrect as well as your advice is off.  But we have discussed that before.  If you don't know don't respond.  There are several threads here you will find I don't touch.  It's not because I don't want to but because I don't know.  The best examples I can give are anything with medicine dosages and pregnancy issues.  I stay away from them.  I will read them and I will try to understand them but outside of that my name is not a commentor unless there is another question I can answers.

The other thing is test results and locations.  HSV of either type can be in either location.  Telling someone that there HSV-2 is genital when you have no culture to back that up is not the best response.  Chances are most likely it is genital but again there is the case that it could be oral  The only person to my knowledge that respondes actively on our forums (Herpes Community) that is trained to read / interpert any testing here is gracefromhhp (AKA grace).  She has the medical knowledge, personal knowledge, and most off all the working knowledge on how to read them.  But she will tell posters that she can't read the results if its a test she doesn't know (has done this a few times).  It is not really anyones place to give advice on needing to do confimatory testing or saying someone is positive at our level.  By that I mean we aren't trained in understanding the testing.  Sure I know that anything less than 3.5 should get confirmatory results but maybe a detial that she has been trained to see and understand will yield to a different recommendation.  

When people are looking for responses to their questions they want the most accurate information.  Which while the community is a "patient to paitent" forum Herpes has such a strong stigma around it that most people will take the first response they see and run with it.  While I have made my few errors and been corrected my own a number of times I for the most part am not to far off.  I am not trying to sound high and mighty here but your information has been sometimes a little off and your advice a little further off or really not the best person to give such advice.  But this is my view.  

I believe you do have some "real life" experince that does in fact beat me. Where you and I differ though is on responses. You had the last poster really confused as to what he should be concerned for and what his risk was.  He had a low risk encounter.  It shouldn't need testing unless he needed the peace of mind and/or if he had any symptoms to be seen.  I was confused reading your replies myself.  

I think you have good intetions don't get me wrong.  But you like a lot of us "newbies" are learning all the pits to herpes and growing with knowledge.  But I think some of your knowledge is coming from either outdated or less than expert sites and it is causing confusion with what we say here or our experts may say (though it should be said not every issue is a cookie cutter and not everyones situation is the same).  I would say for now why not look around and watch learn what knowledge we have and ask us questions.
I appreciate the information that you shared with me you have enlightened me on some things about herpes. I give information based on my experiences and the things that I have learned about herpes but like you said herpes has a strong stigma and individuals will run with what they hear I didn't mean to mislead anyone if I did. I was just sharing my thoughts but you have informed me on a lot of things thank you and keep up the good work.
Hi  Mistakeguy this is tedabell I would like to know if the symptoms that I am experiencing are my hsv2 symptoms. I started experiencing pressure in the abdominal area sharp feelings in my lower back an a little bloating it has been going on for a few hours now I get the feeling that it relates to my hsv2 because when a outbreak is getting ready to come on I usually feel sharpness and stiffness in my spine isn't that where ghsv2 take place in the ganglia or ganglion nerves  in the spine.Then it travels threw nerves where a outbreak presents itself. I haven't had an outbreak since I think November could this just be symptoms and no outbreak.
this doesn't sound like it's herpes related.  there's been a gi bug going around lately.  if that's what you have, you'll know it in a few hours - it hits you fast :(

grace
Hello grace you said that it sound like a gi bug but I am still experiencing this it's more like in the pelvic region it's pressure more than pain and cramp sharp feelings. Could this be a sign of herpes infection because sometimes I get swelling in the vaginal area.
if you are concerned, go and be seen. not really a lot I can help you with with this at this point.
Grace I understand that you are not a doctor and you can't make a diagnoses or give medical advice but you are great in what you do maybe I get to carried away with certain questions but I like your advice. However the LPN that I talked to you about said that I am crazy for being on med help and she don't get on these sites for information because it just makes you crazy. She said I should stop listening to these people I just laughed with her. Grace she has some points in reference to HSV2 but I think your advice is best. Thank you for your help and patience grace.
I'm actually nationally recognized as a patient advocate for genital herpes :)  I'm also the moderator on the herpes forum at ashastd which cosponsors the cdc std conference every other year. I've even co-presented 2 posters at the conference.   I actually know way more than the average bear when it comes to herpes ;)

Hi grace how's everything long time. I am doing okay my outbreaks are much better. I've been outbreak free for the past 3 months. I feel good not having to worry about them since I'm on suppressive therapy. But sometimes I wish I didn't have to take two tablets every day.
It still bothers me in a way when I get ready to take them because I remember when I didn't have to take pills. But if I don't want any outbreaks I have to take them because I am prone to recurrences. Grace I read an article about a person with genital herpes actually it was on med help that didn't experience any more recurrences after their first outbreak. Grace is it true that some individuals immune system is strong enough to help prevent future outbreaks or they go on suppressive therapy the moment they have their first outbreak and it helps them ward off future outbreaks. However is it normal to have symptoms like sharp feelings in the vaginal area because sometimes I feel things like a sharp feeling in my vagina. I start thinking that it is related to genital herpes and I get frequent headaches is this called the prodrome stage. Grace what is the likelihood that I will experience another outbreak.
on average , recurrences are 4-6x/year when you aren't on suppressive therapy.  they average 1-2/year while on suppressive therapy.   Whether or not you'll have frequent recurrences of herpes has more to do with your genes than with your immune system actually.

if your doctor said you had high blood pressure and you had to take a pill 2x/day , would that bother you like taking suppressive therapy does?

have you been back to your doctor for any work up for the pains you are having and headaches?  

grace
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.