Genital Herpes

My boyfriend has tested positive for herpes. however I have never had any signs of it. I went to the doctor and had a dna blood test done and tested negative for both hsv1 and hsv2. Is it possible I can be a carrier and passed it on to him?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you I have advised him to do so. He actually went to his medic ( he is in army) and they told him it wasn't necessary. So he should be home on leave in a month or so and is going to go to his family doctor here in the states to have them to it. Thank you so much fir all the information it has been extremely helpful
Helpful - 0
Then he needs to get an igg blood test.   Your test results are irrelevant to what he has especially if you test negative and he tested positive.  

Just have him go get a typed igg hsv test.
Helpful - 0
His was a swab test. He is trying to find out which type because all they told him was he has genital herpes
Helpful - 0
If both of your tests were igg tests then yes this would be conclusive you don't have herpes.   You would be at risk contracting it from him.   You can't transfer something you don't have...

Igg tests rule out a long term infection because they are most accurate at 3-6 months from your last exposure.   Was your boyfriend a swab test or a blood test?  Also, what type does he have?
Helpful - 0
I contacted my doctor and it was an IgG test that was done and tested negative for both HSV-1 and HSV-2. The initial test was done in Jan. And I went back last week or the week before and that test also came back as negative. So is it possible to still have an HSV infection? What I am really trying to determine is if it is possible since all my tests came back negative and boyfriends came back positive is it possible for me to have given HSV to him?
Helpful - 0
I have to disagree with you here.  There is such a thing as this "mysterious" pcr DNA blood test.  It has been mentioned multiple times in this forum specifically as well.  

If you test negative via pcr DNA blood test, it does not rule out a hsv infection and the person should be retested with an igg test to confirm.  
Helpful - 0
Thank you
Helpful - 0
Although your test is mysterious (there is no "DNA blood test" for HSV), Jason is correct that a negative HSV blood test shows you are not infected and are not the source of your partner's infection. But you likely are at risk for infection by him, depending on whether his infection is genital or oral, and his virus type (HSV1 or 2).  Best for the two of you to visit his doctor together for personal evaluation and advice about it.
Helpful - 0
If you were in fact a carrier, your blood test would have been positive.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Herpes Community

Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.