Herpes Community

HIV & Shingles

Hi...I had several sexual encounters with CSW in the past 3 months....The first encounter took place on June 1st, 2009 and honestly speaking, it is the only one I´m worried about.... Even though I was not drunk (just terribly confused and depressed), I do not remember if the condom stayed on throughout the intercourse......In the other sexual encounters (3) which I nonetheless regret, I am 100% positive that the condom stayed on and did not break.

Anyway, the past 3 months have been a complete ordeal for me....I´ve experienced every single possible ARS/HIV symptom...However, the guys at the HIV forum have repeatedly told me that, since I had protected sex, I had no risk of HIV infection.....

I´m currently 2 weeks away from having my conclusive 12 weeks HIV test...However, I´ve been feeling terribly ill for the past week...I´ve experienced a tingling, pounding and painful sensation in my chest, back, legs and arms (most often in the right side of my body, although I feel pain in the left part sometimes too)....That was later accompanied by a small rash on the right of my chest which does not hurt or burn at all, but resembles that of Shingles a lot....

My question is, does pain from shingles come from the rash itself, or is it located elsewhere in the body?

I´m terribly depressed, confused and anxious.....After these symptoms, I´m starting to convince myself that I have HIV....I´m a 22 year old male.....Shingles in healthy people do not occur at this age.....The only way to explain this, is that I may have a compromised inmune system, due to HIV.....
Don't underestimate what anxiety can do to a person and their body.  I'd be more apt to believe that anxiety is causing most of this than shingles or hiv.

If you have a rash, you need to go and be seen.  No good ever comes from sitting at home online trying to diagnose yourself.  

Are you sleeping well?  Still depressed?  Taking anything for anxiety/depression?

grace
Hi Grace!!!

Yes I'm sleeping well......The pain goes away everytime I go to sleep........I always go to bed with the hope proper rest will make it go away but it doesn't.....I'm not taking any medications, except pain killers (acetaminophen, ibuprofen)....

As I said before, the rash itself is not painful......I can touch it, put clothes on with no problem......I can move normally......Moreover, I think I can work out with no problem...
But the pain in my legs, arms, chest (both sides now), ankles, and even fingers is driving me insane!!! It's not agonizing pain though, it's just a  weird, uncomfortable sensation.....That pain is something that would not happen to an otherwise healthy individual.....

My question is, are the symptoms I just described typical of shingles??

I think I can no longer wait anymore....I'll go take the HIV test tomorrow......

Thank you your kind reply.....,My school physician and the people at the HIV forum have pretty much said the same you just......I pray and hope that you are all right.......It probably is, however, up until I don't get that longed HIV - test result, the "what if" question will still be lingering around my head.......
On the side note, I'm pretty disappointed, sad and confused.......
Putting this ordeal aside, my life couldn't be going better.......I just got a dream job and everything is going according to my plans.......That makes this episode very hard to swallow.....

I just cannot believe I may have ruined my life with such a stupid choice.......I feel terribly ashamed, guilty and disappointed with myself for that......

I had never had sex before those episodes, and I resorted to CSWs just because I was feeling lonely and sad after a relationship went horribly wrong (the girl went away with another guy)..........

Anyway, thanks for taking your time to read this.....Medhelp has become the only place where I can share what I'm going through...I could never tell this to my family or friends...........
Oh you'd be surprised what you can tell your friends :)  I'm always amazed at the stories my friends tell me when I've told something - would've never suspected them of having those sorts of stories to share....he he he  Even if they go , dude, whatever were you thinking, you can go yeah I know it wasn't my brightest idea ever and then they are there to support you thru things :)

I don't think you have shingles at all. You are at a low risk age for it and if the pain isn't keeping you from sleeping, it's very unlikely to be shingles.

herpes and hiv are not the only causes of diseases out there. billions of other germs that infect us.  I think once you let go of this anxiety over hiv from the csw, you'll start feeling better in no time. If you can't let go of that anxiety on your own, pursue a counselor/therapist and start getting talk therapy as well as medication if need be. Life is too short and it's going too well for you for you to be this upset over sex with a professional.  They really aren't all loaded with diseases and you had condoms on everytime so you really are most likely worrying about nothing std related at all.

grace
Thank you again Grace!!!

I can certainly sleep...........I actually love sleeping these days, as I can forget about all this and feel no pain at all..........

I'll get some blood tests done today....I'll ask whether I can have an HIV test as well (people are pretty judgmental about that kind of diseases here, so It won't be easy for sure)

I'll be a lot more anxious waiting for the test results......I guess even tougher times are coming ahead then.......

Anyway, should I turn out to be HIV-, I'll definitely go to a therapist........My life hasn't been the same after that episode......I've felt dissapointed, guilty and just sad about what I did.......I shouldn't have done it in the first place......I don't even know why I really did it in the first place..........No one would ever think I could do that........

If I turn out to be HIV+, I honestly don't know what to do....In any case, my life will be practically over. I won't be able to get married, have kids, I'll probably lose my job, and my family and friends will leave me.............

Fingers crossed I'll have another chance......

Hi Grace
I just took the HIV test... I'll be getting the results on Tuesday.... Let's hope everything turns out well.....

Grace,
I'm sorry to post again......As usual, I had a pretty good sleep....However, the pain is still there when I wake up......I'm still worried that it might be shingles (and hence HIV), as it is the only way to explain how a 22 year old male could have these symptoms......

I would like to know the following:
1) Do shingles rashes hurt or itch? My rash doesn't hurt  or itch at all (I can touch it, rub it, pour water on it and it doesn't hurt)
2) Are shingles pain located in the rash only? My pain occurs mostly on the back, the chest (near the rash, but not in the rash itself), my legs, my arms and sometimes, my hands and feet. Whenever I touch the painful areas, they don't hurt....It's just a tingling, pounding pain that comes and goes....There are no wounds, rashes or anything visible in those areas that hurt.......
3) Are those symptoms related to shingles at all?

Thank you again Grace.....Having a light on those issues would certainly give me some reassurance, especially that I'm 2 days away from getting my 11 weeks HIV test result...
It's negative!!! Life's good again!!
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.