Herpes Community

HSV-2 Concern

I am a twenty-six year old American female of Asian descent. I had sex with a 30 year old American male of Asian descent. It was vigorous since we didn't use lube. Condom broke in between and according to him, may even have been expired. I took Aftera less than an hour after we were done, and just finished my period over this past weekend. I mention this because I understand that oral contraceptives can trigger yeast infections.

Three days later, and after summer starts and I start a job that requires me to wear suits and sometimes stockings, I experience itching all around my vagina and increased discharge. I visit my doctor on Saturday (this past Sat.) and she gives me Diflucan of which I take one dose. I took both doses and the discharge is gone and the itching is not as bad (but still happens, as I have a job where wearing restrictive, tighter clothes isn't negotiable). She also took a NuSwab panel for vaginitis (which came back positive only for yeast).

I have also had on-and-off clitoral pain.  Today (two weeks and 5 days post-exposure)I noticed a small white spot on either side of my clitoris/clitoral hood. It isn't generally painful, but the area, including the spots, seems sensitive to touch (but I don't know if that's normal given the area or not.) I also have had cold sores (HSV-1), but have not had a cold sore in over ten years. I mention this because I have heard that having HSV-1 provides some immunity against the acquisition of genital HSV-1 and HSV-2.

Do I need to see a doctor about this? Should I still get a blood test for herpes-2, and if so, at what point in time is best given this exposure?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Having hsv1 orally does provide great protection for hsv1 genital. It does not provide much if any protection for hsv2 however.
Does not sound like hsv2 but seeing your Dr is never a bad idea. The chances you contracted the virus from a single unprotected exposure with a known positive partner is 1 in a 1000. Now most of your exposure was protected so the odds are even lower. Combine that with the fact we don't know your partners status. Those odds get even lower.
I would take an igg test for hsv2 since you already know you have hsv1 at twelve weeks post exposure to be safe.
  I hope this helps a little.

Just checked again and was able to remove the left "bump". It wasn't a bump and wasn't attached to the clitoris. The process wasn't painful at all -- it was just a small speck. Smegma maybe? The right one was harder to remove (but was identical, so I'm sure it was the same thing and I was simply unable to remove it at the time).

I was wondering if this changes your idea of whether I should get a test for HSV-2. Also, do you know how reliable a four week test might be? I was planning to go to the doctor on 6/27 regarding this to test for HIV and feel like I might as well knock out a HSV-2 test then too (but of course follow up).

COMMUNITY LEADER
Nothing you describe sounds like hsv. I suggested the igg test to ease your mind.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.