Herpes Community

HSV-2

I am in desperate need of help analyzing my lab results. My family doctor discussed the results with me, but she said to me I don't know much about Herpes, you may want to do some research on it. Please can someone go over the results with me? Do I have HSV-2?? My boyfriend got tested and he does NOT have it.

Herpes Simplex SERUM (IgM) Antibody with reflex to titer (IgM)
-HSV-1 IGM SCREEN Positive (Abn: A)
-HSV-2 IGM SCREEN Positive (Abn: A)

HSV 2 IGM Titer
-HSV 2 IGM TITER 1:20 (Abn: A)

HERPESELECT 1+ 2 IgG (SERUM) HSV Ab 1 + 2 IgG
-HSV 1 IGG TYPE SPECIFIC AB >5.00 (Abn:H)
HSV 2 IGG TYPE SPECIFIC AB <0.90
COMMUNITY LEADER
I will try to help sort this out for you. First the IGM tests are worthless. False positives are very common.  Your Dr really doesn't know much about HSV or you would not have been given the IGM tests. It appears you have hsv1 (cold sores) which is very common and not hsv2. Please disregard anything to do with the IGM and only look at the IGG portion of the test.
If you want to test again get a type specific IGG test only
I hope this helps
I knew I had hsv-1 but you don't think I have hsv2?
COMMUNITY LEADER
I absolutely do not think you have hsv2.  
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.