Herpes Community

HSV1 transmission through utensils?

A friend of mine gets cold sores frequently and while I didn't see any overt cold sores on her lips like I have before, she did have a red cut on her lip, but it looked more like a cut.  If it wasn't, I probably wouldn't have done what I did below...

Anyway, we were all out to dinner and using a spoon, she took a bite of dessert and then it got passed to me.  Within 30 seconds (probably 15-20), I used the spoon (had some food on it prior), took a bite, and I didn't think how dumb that was until after I had put it down and she said, "Don't worry, I don't have herpes or anything." :/

It's been four days and I'm nervous I've contracted HSV1 from this encounter.  The weather has been changing so not sure if this could be affecting it, but I've gotten a runny nose, been sneezing, and my throat has that post-nasal drip/sour throat symptom, but no fever.

As for my lips, it feels like there's some cracked sensations, soreness on one side, but that could be from me touching it and/or being paranoid.

Basically, could I get HSV1 this way?  Sharing a spoon after that amount of time (even if there was a cold sore present)? Could my symptoms be a case of first outbreak of blisters coming?

Thank you!
COMMUNITY LEADER
Your symptoms are not hsv. That's is for certain. You can rest easy as the odds you contracted hsv from this is so low there is no need for concern. When I say low I really mean no real world risk. You will read some info that says otherwise but this sort of thing in adults is so rare that if it were me I wouldn't give it a moments thought.
Already feel a million times better - thank you for your help!
COMMUNITY LEADER
Your very welcome
I do have one more question. My soreness area on lower left lip has been feeling more like there's slight shocks happening to it throughout the day.  Not necessarily tingling, but sharp little pains here and there.  Shocks and it still feels slightly sore, but sometimes warm/burny.  Not sure if this is from me touching it or rubbing it or not.

This still couldn't be HSV?  I'm seeing a new partner and don't want to scare/hurt her in any way if we kiss, but there's nothing there at the moment.

Thanks!
COMMUNITY LEADER
The body is full of sensations. When we stress and focus on any area we will start to notice all sorts of things. Combine that with examining the area and manipulating it in ways you normally wouldn't, leads you traumatized skin. You were at no real world risk. I would put hsv out of your mind and soon I bet you feel completely normal.
I actually had a relative who came up on my left side and gave me a big old smootch right on my left cheek. I turned to say high and saw the biggest nastiest cold sore. I thought oh great!!! I did not get hsv1 from this exposure to an active cold sore. You taking a bite or two from the same fork from someone with hsv1 and no cold sore present is  as minimal as it gets. Move on and good luck with the new relationship.
Copy, I will take note of that.

Final question and this has nothing to do with this situation, but cold sores in general. If you get somewhat of a sore (definitely not a cut as it has that sour 'taste' of a canker sore if you know what I mean) on your lip (middle area), but it doesn't really hurt, it's just there and not even big, could that be a cold sore or something else? Can canker sores be on the lip?

Thank you!
COMMUNITY LEADER
It can be many things. Cold sores generally progress quickly to a fluid filled blister or cluster of them.
Would they constantly itch and burn though? Even once they've popped and before?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Cold sores can vary from sore to sore or person to person. Some do some don't.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.