Herpes Community

HSV2 and HIV

Thank you in advance for the support.

I had an oral sex exposure a little over 6 weeks ago (I am male and I gave oral to a women - we also had condom protected vaginal sex). I did not notice any sores in the genital area at the time. 2-3 days post the exposure I developed what an infectious disease doc said were white ulcers on my tonsils. My glands in the neck became swallon over the course of the week and then I developed a sore throat that lasted for 3 weeks. Also 2 weeks post event my leg muscles became very painful and I develop muscle spasms and tingling sensations on the feet/hands and face. These symptoms are with me today (6 weeks after the event). I tested negative for HIV at 43 days (6 weeks). But i'm not sure if what was on my tonsils area was HSV2 acquisition sores. I also get night sweats 2-3 times a week where the neck area is sweaty and the t-shirt and bed sheet is damp. Today is the first day my mouth has a metallic taste and my tongue looks white. I'm in the window period for HSV2 (and HIV) but will get that blood test soon to confirm. My bowel movements have been thrown off big time. I am severely constipated right now and have been pretty much since the event 6 weeks ago.

Can anyone give me feedback on my chances of acquiring HIV through oral sex (on a female) if my partner was shedding HSV2 (asymptomatically because I didnt see any sores at the time) and if my 43 day HIV negative test is at risk if that tonsil thingy was in fact HSV2 (i.e delayed seroconversion). Is it tough to get HSV2 on the tonsils only - didnt have any sores on my mouth, lips or tongue or inside of my cheeks. Thank you.

So your partner has both HSV2 and HIV?
I dont know is the issue. This was a co-worker whom claims to have been tested for HIV and other STDs and was negative in January. She has had exposures since (says they were protected sex and unprotected oral). But you cant go by someone elses word - got to take matters into my own hands and go from there.
Maybe she's just as concerned about having had sex with you.

Oral sex is low risk for transmission. HSV2 especially doesn't transmit that way well at all.

So you went to the doctor, but you don't believe what the doctor told you?  Is that what you're saying?
Dr handsfield has already answered this question for you.  We certainly can't top his advice.

grace
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.