Herpes Complex 1 How to tell if it's oral or genital

Hi there,

I recently got diagnosed with Herpes complex 1
and wanted to learn more about my specific case
I tried to make an appointment with my obgyn today but it's a holiday so i'll have to postpone
anyway thank you for your time, here are some questions

1) How do I find out whether it's oral or genital?
I've read a few different sources claiming that most people get diagnosed because of an outbreak, which occurs 6-12 days (ballpark) since exposure. I have yet to experience any symptoms and the first time I became intimate with my current partner was about two months ago. (A- what would the "bumps" look like? B- is it one or many C- is it any different orally and genital?)

Now the weird part is that my partner and I have had unprotected sex over a handful of times, kissing, oral, etc. and after I got my diagnosis he went to go get tested and came out negative.

2) Does this mean that I am not as contagious? or is this information going to be of any help to find out whether it's oral or genital?
again, after reading online I found out that it's quite contagious to have hsv1 Oral and less contagious to have it genital. Since being diagnosed I have refrained from kissing and being intimate with my partner since I don't know the status of my disease very well. After two months of kissing and being intimate unprotected it seems that he would of contracted the virus if it was oral. So it leads me to think that it's genital therefore less chance of exposure?

3) If I have hsv1 Oral does that mean I can't ever kiss my partner again without risking him contracting the disease?
                 A- Can I not give oral without risk?

4) If I have hsv1 Genital can I not receive oral?

B- Can I not have unprotected sex without my partner at risk?

5) Lastly, Am I asymptomatic and what does this mean?

Again, thank you for your time
C.

COMMUNITY LEADER
I will be happy to answer all you questions. First I need to know what blood test they gave you and the numeric value of the test. For example. Igg test with a value of 5.4.
This is very important and will help to figure this out.
I should be able to get this info tomorrow when they're open, I'll be sure to update
Thank you.  I will touch base on your questions in a bit. I pressed for time.
HSV I IgG >8.0
Positive Index
HSV IgM abs I/II EIA 1.43 Index
Hi also. an 8 would be positive where any number above 1.2 which i assume is the test you took and if so in all likely hood its oral from childhood.
Hi people, still looking for help with these questions, obgyn wasn't very helpful
One thing people will tell you is that herpes does not like to play by a rule book. Some people can have an outbreak six days later, some ten years later and some not at all. The fact that you have HSV-1 indicates you *most likely* have it orally. Many people pick up the virus when they're kids from relatives who carry it. That's why many estimates suggest 70-80% of the population carries it. Most of those people will not have symptoms (which means they are asymptomatic, like you seem to be.)

The fact that your partner tested negative would also suggest you picked it up earlier, either from a different partner or from a family member.

As far as what they look like, they are pus-filled bumps that will break open after a couple days and then crust over with a yellow scab that grows smaller over subsequent days until it goes away, leaving no scar. You can have one or multiple. Your first outbreak is usually in the spot that you were infected, but recurrent outbreaks can appear anywhere that is connected to the nerves the virus hides in, though it's most common for it to reappear in the same place (path of least resistance, so to speak). For example, I've been getting cold sores for ten years. It's always in the same spot: right side of top lip. It'll never go anywhere else (like my genitals) because it hides in a specific set of nerves. If you experienced symptoms genitally as well as orally, it would be because they are separate infections.

It can be different orally and genitally, though they tend to do more or less the same thing: pus-filled blisters that break open and scab. HSV-1 orally recurs more often than HSV-1 genitally, generally speaking. But again, no rules.

It's suggested that people with fewer (or no) outbreaks "shed" the virus less often than people who get frequent outbreaks (like I do). Still, there is a risk that it can be transmitted orally or genitally when you don't have any sores. If your partner has tested negative for any HSV, he has a higher chance of picking it up than somebody who had previously been exposed to the virus. Still, the chances of him getting it from you when you're asymptomatic are not tremendously great. Not enough for you to not kiss him for two months, for example. ;) If you're really concerned, you can ask about suppressive therapy, although in your situation, you'd probably have a hard time convincing somebody to write you a prescription since you don't have outbreaks.

Best of luck to you.

You are reading content posted in the Herpes Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.