Herpes Community

Herpes IGM positive test, IGG negative

I recently had an igM and an igg blood test done for herpes. It would have been 9 weeks post possible exposure. My igg both came back negative. My igM came back positive. The ranges for the igM test are HSV 1 igM titer 1:80
HSv 2 igM titer >1:320
I have no idea what these ranges mean. My doctor would not explain them to me. I have done research regarding the igM test and that it is not to be used. But I'm still concerned what these ranges mean.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Those are typical low positive numbers associated with igm testing. Disreguard the igm results all together. Your dr probably wouldn't explain them because he doesnt understand them. Lol
No need to be concerned with your igm results at nine weeks. Your igg is negative.
Thank you! I was just super confused because he wouldn't explain it to me. He just said "there's no way it's a false positive because they are very high, significant numbers"
COMMUNITY LEADER
Lol. Ouch. This dr needs to go back to school.
Do you know if there's anywhere to find information regarding the ranges? I've read everything possible on google about igM tests and herpes and I have not been able to find anything in regards to the igM titer ranges. Because from what I understood the igM test can't differentiate between HSV 1/2
COMMUNITY LEADER
You are way over thinking this.
The only reason I was asking was because I couldn't find anything regarding the numbers. To what I understood the igM test can't differentiate between 1 and 2 so how do they come up with those results with the titer?
COMMUNITY LEADER
You are correct igm can not accurately distinguish between the two. Your numbers are low. I really hate that igm is even on the herpes testing menu when it's so incredibly flawed in every way.
I agree, it's very frustrating because it can have false positives up to 70-80% of the time, according to the research I've done. But im just confused on how the test itself works lol.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Think of igm tests as an early detection test. Igm antibodies are the first on the scene. A week or two after infection. Then the igg antibodies take over. This alone should stop a dr from giving this test as your exposure was 9 weeks ago. Put this out of your mind. You are negative.
One more tid bit. Your test at 9 weeks is over 85% conclusive. Meaning over 85% of people would test positive by 9 weeks.
That's what I was reading also, that at 6 weeks post exposure 70% of people show up positive for igg antibodies. I very much appreciate your help
COMMUNITY LEADER
You're very welcome
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.