Herpes Community

Herpes Symptoms - - very anxious

I am 22 and had sex with 3 escorts 3 weeks ago. All of them were protected except one who gave me unprotected oral for 30 seconds.

I recently was examining myself and might have pressed my urethra too hard. It became painful(as if there was a tear inside) when I left it alone. These past few days, the pain was intermittent and I do not have any redness, frequent urination, or discharge. However, the uncomfortable feeling has moved and is now concentrated on the left groin area. I suspected it was epididymitis as I have the feeling like when you got hit in the balls, the kind of tingling feeling, but I do not feel pain. I only rarely feel pain there, like a few seconds, one or two times a day, but i am attributing it to anxiety.

I am very worried and I went to see a general practitioner today. He checked me and didn't think it was epididymitis as there was no swelling or pain. He also said my lymph nodes were not swollen. I also had a rapid HIV test which thankfully came back negative. HOWEVER, he scared me when he said that the tingling feeling might be due to herpes. That got me very frightened. I've read that there is no cure for herpes. He gave me an injection of Cetriaxone and 1 g of azithromycin and said that would clear up 95% of STDs, but would be useless against herpes. I asked him for his diagnosis again and he said he thinks it is non-specific urethritis.

I have also done a full array of STD test but the lab reports will not come back so soon.

In the end, he comforted me and said that if it were herpes, Valtrex would kill most of the virus but there might be some virus lingering in the nerves. He also said that the official stand was that there was no cure for herpes, but he said that some people taking these drugs never had an outbreak for 10 years, so he didn't know if that was considered a cure.

I am very worried and anxious as I do not have anyone to turn to regarding this matter. I can't bring up this matter to my parents though they have already detected my anxiety.

I would like to seek your opinion on this matter and know what I can do to alleviate the anxiety.
Oral sex is considered low risk.. While this doesn't mean no risk it doesn't mean you have it.  You may have had some form of tramua to uthera.  I would suggest seeing your doctor for more information as to what he may think.  NGU  is typical when you have an infection and the treatment sounds exactly what you got.

Your doctor is wrong to think that with 10 years of no outbreak that means you have a cure.  It means the medicine is working to prevent and control your outbreaks but you can still shedd the virus without even seeing any symptoms.  Not trying to scare you but give you the facts.  

At this point I would say unless you get lesisions or further symptoms like that then you don't have much to worry about. Typical herpes symptoms hit within 2-20 days of infection you are at 3 weeks.  You were seen your doctor doesn't think it is herpes.  The fact you don't complain of pain when you pee makes me believe it isn't herpes.  

Follow up with your doctor if you again have any new symptoms or have lesisions that can be swapped for a culture.  If you feel the need to test (or haven't to know your own status) I would suggest getting a type specific igg blood test.  
thank you for the information.

I know people often say it is low risk. They also said it was low risk for chlamydia/gonorrhea but the fact is there is something going on.

I really hope it's not herpes but an infection that can be cleared away. I really just want to put this horrific episode to bed.

I really dun know how to cope if it was really herpes. I don't think I can keep it from my parents for long. Been having sleepless nights and in a daze during the day.

Are the antiviral medicines expensive and do they have any long term side effects?
There are antivirial medicines out there. They are low cost and the big ones don't have any long term side effects. However, they don't kill off Herpes because of how the virus works.  

I can understand sleepless nights and so forth.  You aren't alone in being fearful.  Low risk doesn't mean no risk it just means its a numbers game.  The thing to remember is that unless these people had active coldsores then chances are even further. You don't know these individuals have HSV and nothing to support that they do.  Is there a chance?  Sure.  Is there a risk?  Sure.  But its low.  In the future get a condom on and use a condom.  Or wait until you meet someone to have sex with and eliminate the need for concern.  

Not everything that goes on down there is herpes.  I can give you a perfect walking story of it.  Review this thread:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/Stange-Symptoms-lost-and-confused/show/1143845

This story is of a guy who recently went through an encounter that put him at risk.  11 weeks later (we typically recommend the 12-16 mark for testing) he tested.  Guess what the test came back as?  You got it... Negative.  He had varying symptoms and so forth for days.  If you want another story I am one of those that even here I struggle with beating Herpes out of my own head.  Kind of werid huh?  The guy who can answer questions he himself has his own fear...

I had unprotected oral sex.  This again is a low risk activity.  I freaked out (it was just like you a stupid dumb brainless thinking with the wrong head move I could make) it has put a lot into jepoardy in my life.  Now that I go back and thinking about it I go.... Wow why the hell did I do that?  I am now week 10 of my journey in fear.  In the first 4 weeks of things I saw 2 doctors who told me I had a fungal infection.  I got a herpes test at 2 weeks.  Then in the next 4 weeks I saw 1 Nurse at the STD clinic (2 times because I was scared) 2 doctors, 1 Dermatolgist, and check myself daily both mouth and genitals.  At 2 weeks testing I came back negative for both HSV types.  At 9 weeks (9 weeks 2 days to be exact) I was scared crapless because the nurse practionier who was taking care of my aunt said I had a cold sore.  She did a HSV test.  I don't think I have EVER been that scared to go to a doctors office before in my life.  The doctor asked me about Herpes and why I was scared and its nothing major it is nothing to be afraid of so I figured he was preparing me for the news of a positive test. When he was done he had printed off my lab work handed it to me knowing that I have done my fair extensive research into this and told me to interpret my own results.  Looking at them I was and am still currently testing negative.  So what are my chances? Just about the same as yours and that is low.  In the time I have been dealing with doctors my dermatolgist says it is a fungal infection.  I can't argue with a trained professional especially one who deals with the skin.  He has been in practice for 37 years.  Pretty good guy who has to be doing something right if hes been in practice this long.  

Relax.... Stay off the internet.  Consider talking to a family member.  Getting the stress off your neck will help.  Believe me I didn't want to tell my family what happened in any detail because I didn't want them to think less of me.  I couldn't hold it in I burst.  They haven't once thought less of me.  Called it a bonehead move and dumb but none the less they make sure that daily I am okay and that when I start to freak out calm me down and remind me that the chances of this being the case are low and what everyone including Grace and Dr. Hook have told me.  If I could argue with my Dermatologist I sure as heck wouldn't dare do it with Grace or Dr. Hook.  Grace has first hand knowledge (along with being in the medical field) and Dr. Hook (along with Dr. HHH and Terri) have been dealing with STD's for a LONG time now.  In fact Dr. HHH Dr. Hook and Terri )were all at the big STD conference and had some role in either presenting or answering questions.  I don't think you can get much better then than that.  

I am sure grace will tell you just about the same thing I did (I pretty much try and base my response to what she would say).  
Thank you for your anecdotes.

As you can see from my nick, I suffer from generalised anxiety. And I'm especially anxious regarding health issues.

It's been day 2 since I took the antibiotics but the symptoms does not seem to go away. There is still this itchy/tingling feeling inside the left groin area. If anything, it seems to have been more pronounced today. I'm also feeling very fatigued even though I've been sleeping 10 to 12 hours a day. Think I might been having chills as well as I feel cold with the air-conditioning when I usually do not notice.

Do you know anything about chlamydia/gonorrhea or other UTIs in your research? I've read somewhere that the symptoms intensify before subsiding away.

As to talking to a family member, I don't think that is really possible. They are not as accepting as yours seem to be. I'm paralysed in my room with no one else to tell my fears. My life is really coming apart. I have to drag myself out of bed and into school so that my parents will not probe and act as if nothing is wrong. I've no mood to do anything, my assignments are due and datelines keep coming. All I want to do is sleep till the lab report comes in.

And even then, it may not be conclusive. On one hand, I want it to be negative for any STDs (but that would mean I have a problem that the doctor has misdiagnosed). On the other hand, if there are STDs, I wish for it to be a common case of chlamydia and not herpes. (but then i dun really show much symptoms of chlamydia and it doesn't seem to work with the antibiotics). So i'm getting these horrific thoughts that it's a problem that doesn't really have a solution.

All the doctor do is to follow a standard operating procedure. If it works, good. but if not, it's gonna be a long long story
I've also noticed that the affected testicle is way higher than the right one. Especially when the tingling feeling comes. I know it is normal for one to hang lower by about 1/8 inch but the difference here seems to be 1/2 to 3/4 inch higher. Is that cause for concern?
it sounds like you are spending way too much time thinking about your genitals as well as way too much time looking at them. Back away from the mirror slowly, pull your pants back up and go find a new hobby!!!

your risk for hiv was zero due to condom use. Your rapid test was done way too early from these encounters but since you used a condom, your provider wasted your time and money testing you for std's as well as treating you for them.  

At this point, less attention to your nether regions in general. If in a week you still have symptoms, return to be seen again.  No masturbation or poking and proding and pinching your genital area either so you don't continue to irritate things.

grace
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.