Herpes Community

Herpes or throat infection

I have small white dots in the back of my throat, and several red bumps( about 6 -8 of them going down my throat).  They are painless, and do not itch or burn.  If i gargle salt water it burns a little, but only for a short while. I have no other bumps or possible lesions anywhere else on my body.  Is this possibly herpes? I am very terrified! Its only in my throat and i am scared it could be herpes. Please help. Can (genital) herpes occur soley in the throat?
This sounds like garden variety viral pharyngitis (sore throat). If in the preceding 1-2 weeks you had oral sex with someone with genital herpes, or kissed someone with oral herpes, it is conceivable that this is the problem. But far less likely than a standard cold virus. Initial oral herpes usually causes over ulcers (open sores), and not only in the throat but in the mouth and often on the lips. But see a doctor if you remain concerned.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.