Herpes Community

How long should Oral HSV-1 last?

Two weeks ago from today I noticed I had lesions/bumps of a red color on the back of my tongue and on the back of my throat. Three days ago I went to a FastMed center, and the nurse practitioner diagnosed me with HSV-1. She gave me some medication and sent me off. I had a sore throat in the beginning, but that's it. I do not know if this is my primary infection or if it is a recurring infection. How long will I be contagious for/ should I abstain from kissing and sex? How long could these bumps last? Very worried!
COMMUNITY LEADER
How did she diagnos you? I hope not by sight alone.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.