Hsv 2 genitally spread by kissing?

I have been dating someone for about 2 months and he recently told me he has hsv 2 genitally. Last outbreak was over a year ago. We have never had sex , just kissing (on the mouth). Am I at risk for getting hsv2 through kissing?  Basically,is it possible for him to have hsv 2 genitally and orally? And if I am at risk for getting it.
COMMUNITY LEADER
You are at no risk from kissing. Hsv2 is very rarely an oral infection. It doesn't like the oral cavity and is not easily spread when it is.
Thank you for responding. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this. So, can someone get infected with the same virus in multiple areas of their body ? In his case , genitally  ( shows symptoms) and orally ( never had symptoms)?. My obgyn said he could have contracted hsv 2 genitally but if the girl he was with had it genitally and he performed oral sex on her, he could have it orally too. Is that true?
COMMUNITY LEADER
That is true but especially rare for hsv2. Like I said before. It's rarely an oral infection. It doesn't like the oral region at all. When it is an oral infection it sheds very little and has few if any outbreaks.
This means you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Really, you can move forward without concern.
My gyno said they don't routinely test for herpes anymore because it's so common to have hsv 1 or hsv 2 either orally or genitally. Is this true? Considering you say that hsv 2 prefers the genital region. I couldn't  imagine it being THAT common then
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hsv1 is very common and 50% of all new genital infections are hsv1. Hsv2 is common as a genital infection but not common at all for hsv2 to be an oral infection. We don't know why but hsv2 doesn't take well to the mouth.
Got it!. Thank you
COMMUNITY LEADER
You're welcome and you are at no risk for hsv2. Zero

You are reading content posted in the Herpes Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.