Herpes Community

Hsv reflex test????

I wanted to know more info on Herpes I and II, IgG with reflex tests. how accurate is this test and, is this test similar to the other test,(herpeselect test, Western blot, or Elisa...)  i also wanted to know does this test cross react with any other viruses of the Herpes family.
Are you talking about the test that labcorp offers or the quest herpes inhibition assay?

grace
The company that offers it is the Spectrum labatory network report. im not quite sure if its labcorp or quest herpes inhibition assay
I'll assume it's the regular herpes test with reflex to hsv2 then.  I tried looking up more info on their website but it was fairly limited what I could access.  

I would skip the test you are refering too and specifically ask for the herpes select igg for hsv1 and hsv2. They offer it according to their website.  It's a more accurate test than the other one you are refering to.

grace
The reason why im asking because thats the test that my health provider use to determine if i had hsv 2 which came back positive but i think im suffering from herpes zosters ho
How did she decide zoster? Did she do a lesion culture of your symptoms?

What was your hsv2 result?

grace
She didn't i did, but the result was

Herpes I and II, igg with reflex 54.2 H
                                 0.89 IV or less negative
                                 0.90-1.09 IV Equivocal
                                 1.10 IV or greater
                                 Hsv 2 Glycoprotein G Ab 1.97H
                                 IV= Index Value
                                  1.10 IV
I really wanted to know how reliable is this test and where can i get more info on it???
And whats the difference between a herpes test with reflex and one without one,  and im sorry the rest of the index value for hsv 2 1.10 positive

how reliable is the Focus Inhibition Assay and how do i get this test????
The blood test you had done was first a non-specific one - hence the 54.2 result.  Usually labcorp uses the herpes select for their specific hsv2 igg but not always. Etiher way your 1.97 for hsv2 is positve.  Since you haven't had a + lesion culture for hsv though I recommend the next time your rash reoccurs - get it cultured and typed within 24-48 hours of its appearance.  Though really a rash that comes back more than once - certainly isn't zoster so that would probably be your answer anyways but get it properly tested to be sure.  

Get your doctor to send off a herpes WB test otherwise in about 2 or 3 months. Probably just as easy to have that done as to get the inhibition assay if your clinic uses labcorp labs.  http://depts.washington.edu/rspvirus/herpes.htm  has all the info your doc needs to order the test.

grace
Im a lil confused, so should i trust the non specific test?according to my research,  older non specific tests have a higher  false positive rate AND, most cannot determine if its 1 or 2.
If the test cannot determine  if its hsv  one or two, how do i know if a non type- specific test can tell the difference between herpes 2 or varicella, for example like the igm tests ( a non specific test)
As I said - you need additional testing to confirm what the hsv2 igg result was ( that was type specific ).  It's still within the false positive range which is why additional follow up testing is necessary since no lesion cultures were done on your rash.

grace
im in the process of getting a western blot test would you recommened the one offered by quest diagnostics, are they a relaible company
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.