Herpes Community

Hsv1 from oral sex

Hi....
So long story. My partner and I have been together for 12 years. We both get cold sores on our mouths occasionally. Of course I had no clue you could catch Genital Herpes via oral sex from someone with a cold sore..dumb on my part. To make a long story short my husband performed oral sex on me with a healing cold sore that was scabbed over. It has been approximately 34 days since the encounter and I have not experienced any lesions/sores in my Genital area. I have experienced burning and shooting pains in my vagina but I recently had an IUD placed. My questions are 1. Can you contact hsv1 genitally if you already have the virus and 2. Are my symptoms prodromal, anxiety or the IUD. Please help!! I have constantly worried that I have contracted hsv1 genitally.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Don't worry about your symptoms. They aren't hsv.
It is possible to contract hsv1 genitally even though you have it orally. That said it's very, very rare. When I say it's possible it's in the same catogory as getting hit by lightning. When a cold sore is scabbed over the virus has in most cases already retreated.
All in all you have nothing to worry about.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.