Herpes Community

Indirect transmission

Hi I have some questions about herpes. I have genital herpes, if I accidentally forget to wash my hands (during or not during an outbreak) after using the restroom is there any chance of passing it to my children from my hands?

In regards to oral herpes, is sharing drinks, food ect only an issue with an active outbreak? How about if you touch your mouth not during an outbreak should you wash your hands?
COMMUNITY LEADER
You won't spread your genital hsv like you describe. It's called an std for a reason. You needn't worry about spreading it to your children.

Yes. Only when a cold sore is present. Even then it's a long shot for an adult to get hsv this way.
No need to wash hands after touching your mouth
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.