Herpes Community

Intereaction between Eczema & Herpes

I just contracted Herpes I about a month ago.

I have had eczema my entire life.

1. Since Herpes is spread through skin to skin contact. Can my herpes be spread through dead skin that I shed daily? I lose A LOT of skin due to my eczema.

2. Since I have eczema, can my herpes be spread by sharing a bed with someone? (Through skin that I have shed onto pillows and onto the sheets?)

Thanks everyone.
There is a condition called eczema herpeticum, in which HSV infects areas with eczema. It is quite serious and can be difficult to treat. It is quite uncommon, but still something you need to be aware of. I don't know if taking suppressive treatment for herpes (acyclovir, valacyclovir, etc) helps prevent it, but I would think so. This is definitely something for you to discuss with a dermatologist, or whoever you see for the eczema problem.

However, as long as you don't have actual eczema herpeticum, your eczema itself will not spread herpes, and neither will sharing a bed. You won't infect anyone with HSV unless that particular area (your genital area or mouth, wherever your herpes is) is intimately exposed to another person, i.e. sexual contact or intimate kissing.

If you haven't been to your dermatolgist since you caught herpes, make an appointent soon to discuss all this. Best wishes and happy new year.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.