Herpes Community

Interpreting two different HSV serologic tests

In 2015, I had an IgM and an IgG Chemiluminescence test for HSV types I/II (the test result was no type-specific). IgM was non-reactive, but IgG was reactive with an index value of 2.00 (reference: reactive > 1.1). I've never had any classical manifestation symptoms neither on my orolabial area nor on my genital area. From time to time, I have tiny red bumps both in the glans and in the foreskin. They don't itch, don't burn and don't hurt. They usually heal spontaneously within a day. My urologist told me they look like balanoposthitis caused by candida albicans.

A week ago, I had an IgM and an IgG Enzyme Immunoassay (EIA) test for HSV type I only. Both IgM and IgG came back non-reactive. Does this mean that the IgG reactive index value from the first test is due to an infection (probably asymptomatic) caused by HSV 2?
COMMUNITY LEADER
First off igm tests for hsv are useless. Your reactive igg test for hsv2 is in the low positive range. Meaning there is a 50/50 chance this is a false positive. My advice is to retest in a few weeks. Anything less than a 3.5 is suspect for a false positive.
A follow up about my story. I had another bloodwork 4 weeks post exposure, and the result was negative (IgM and IgG) for both HSV 1 and 2. People must know how likely low IgG index values can be false positives. Thanks for your answer.
You're welcome.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.