Herpes Community

Is this really what I have?

My first time was with my first boyfriend at age 16. 3-4 months after we had been dating, I had this burning sensation when I urinated. I had a large outbreak of bumps around my vagina and front peri area. I went to the doctor and she told me it was HSV-1. I didn't understand. I had been with 1 partner who had only been with me. My doctor brought to my knowledge he may have performed oral sex with a "fever blister", and I remembered that was true. I am now almost 21 years old, and I have never had an outbreak since. Every once in a while, usually after shaving and the pubic hair starts to grow back, the area starts to itch and become irritated. After a day or so of irritation and itching, a small rash forms and soon disappears without any medical attention. My doctor diagnosed me with observation only. Is there any chance I was mis-diagnosed? I have always been curious if HSV-1 is really what I have? My current boyfriend and I are talking about soon tying the knot and having a family, but my diagnosis scares me about children.
might want to change your gender to female so it's less confusing :)

hsv1 genitally is incredibly common especially at the age you were diagnosed.  It's transmitted typically through oral sex.  the good part about it is that it usually doesn't reoccur very often.  

Your provider shouldn't have diagnosed you as they did and to be honest unless you get a recurrence to have properly tested, you really won't have accurate answers. You can get a type specific herpes igg blood test and if it comes back as hsv1+ then you know that if you do have genital herpes, it's hsv1 and not hsv2 ( which makes sense since your bf at the time was also a virgin ).  

As far as your current situation, your current bf should be tested to see what his hsv status is. If he's had other partners than you he needs to rule out hsv2 and even if he can't recall a history of cold sores, he could still have hsv1 orally. once you know his status you can decide together what precautions to take, if any. Hsv1 genitally doesn't shed very often so the odds of transmitting it to a partner are low in general if you avoid sex when you have symptoms.

If you tend to get a rash from shaving, you can consider stopping shaving of course. Buy body hair clippers and just keep your pubic hair short in general instead to avoid rashes. If you do continue to shave, look for post shaving products to try to give the sensitive genital skin some extra tlc.  Other hair removal options too like waxing and laser hair removal to consider too.  Sounds like you either are getting a shaving rash afterwards or even a mild folliculitis.  Avoid sex when you have rashes in case it's triggering shedding of herpes just to err on the side of caution.

as far as pregnancy, your hsv1 genitally isn't an issue until delivery. typically expectant mom's with genital herpes are placed on daily suppressive therapy in the higher pregnancy doses for the last month of pregnancy to help reduce the odds of having a recurrence so you can deliver vaginally.  the risk of transmitting to the baby without an obvious herpes lesion present are less than 1% so while it's something to think about, not a reason not to have a family :)  of course when you are pregnant, come back  - we leave the light on :)

keep asking questions as you have them !

grace
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.