Herpes Community

Not sure if I have a cold sore?

For the past few days I have had a rough patch of skin on the line of my upper lip. It has not blistered, and it isn't painful. Also I have never had a cold sore. However I have taken extra precautions in case it is a cold sore, like washing my hands if I touch my mouth. My question is, if this is a cold sore, and it's my first outbreak, will it be likely that it could spread to my genitals if I touched the patch and then touched somewhere else?

This is very unlikely to be a cold sore.

Regardless, there is a high chance you already gave an established HSV1 infection. This gives you immunity from further infection.
Thanks for your reply! So do cold sores always blister before crusting over? (Just so I know for future reference!) My patch just looks slightly lighter in colour than the rest of my lip, with a few tiny light coloured dots like fordyce spots, but feels like a scab.
Also I think it's been there for a couple of weeks, but has just become more rough over time. Do you think I should get it checked out?
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.