Herpes Community

Not sure

I recently had perfromed oral sex on a female and a few days later had strep throat. after taking amoxicilan, i still didnt feel right. Went and had std testing and HSV1 came back positive, all others were negative. I read in one of your posts that it's highly unlikely to catch HSV1 from oral sex performed on a women. Is that accurate? Should i go and get another test? My throat always hurts and not sure what to do.

If the test is accurate, what should I be concerned with?

Thanks in advance for you help.
your + hsv1 result is likely a previous infection and not related to the oral sex you performed. A newly acquired hsv1 infection won't be reflected that quickly on igg testing.

many viruses out there that cause sore throats. Even though it's only august, many germs out there going around already to start the cold/flu season off.

grace
It happened in July, so you think this is from another incident? So, it isnt from oral sex?

My throat has really hurt and it fit all the symptons. Could there be something else that is hurting my throat? Do you thinkn i should take other tests and a few weeks out from now?

Also, how accurate are the results?

Again, thank you Grace.
Sorry to bother you Grace, but had some follow up questions.

How accurate is the hsv1 test at about 38 days or so? If 38 is not accurate timeframe, what timeframe would be better timing to get tests done. Since i have been reading way too much on the net, im freakin out and now have symptons of occassional pain in my right groin and burning in my penis ramdonly. Also, i have canker soars on and under my tongue. What does all that mean? Previously mentioned was the pain in my throat and neck, which you mentioned has no correlation to hsv1.

My mind is all over the place and just wanted to get your input on the above. My main thought since you stated you can't really cant get herpes from oral sex is why im trying to figure out my tests results.

thanks
Had unprotected sex one month ago and washed my penis with a bleaching agent(jik). I had done this on several occasions. After three weaks, I developed clear blisters on my penis. I was tested for VDRL n' HIV both of which were negative.I  was otherwise put on Augumentine for one week n' the blisters healed.I later had sex,after one week, and was put on acyclovir 4 one week.The blisters healed but I developed a burning  sensation in my urethra which has become persistent.I have no other symptom.The burning is intense when I am pressed.I have 2 frequent the washroom,but even this gives very temporary relief.The physician didn't do a laboratory diagnosis.Cld it b HSV 2 or contact dermatitis.WHY THE BURNING?THANK YOU.
I also used a libido or performance enhancer on the material day.
where did u get the totally insane idea to bleach your genitals,
don't do that again
please do not hijack someone else's post. start your own post with your own issues. thank you. we go over the rules of posting here in the read before posting post at the top of the forum.

grace
if you are still having symptoms, return to be seen and get a proper exam done. sounds like your anxiety needs the reassurance of face to face advice anyways :)
thank you Grace,

I called the dr.'s office and the nurse indicated you only need 12 days and the hsv1 results are very accurate. I asked what my number was and she indicated it was 4.69 and i asked her if that is possible to be false positive, she said no.

I never did get an answer about how accurate these tests are and again, if Oral sex is not a way for herpes to be  transfered, i'm not sure what to think. Do you think i should get restested? What do you think of my 4.69?

Thanks again.
I have no soars on the outside of my mouth, but some inside, not painful. I have pain in my neck and throat and trying to understand if there is another infection and if so, how would that impact my herpes test results?

no, testing at 12 days post encounter is not accurate. that said, yours is Positive and as I previously said, likely from a prior infection with hsv1. most adults who have hsv1, don't get obvious cold sores to know it. you have no reason to think that hsv1 is causing your continued oral symptoms for this long. Follow up with medical providers as needed to get to the bottom of all of this.
Thank you Grace. I dont know how you do it, but you're amazing. Your genorisity to this board and people in need of answers is God Sent.

Wish you and all the HSV infected people better health and cure in the near future.

Grace, i have read many boards and it seems that many people have this infection and wanted to know if there is a way to get people to donate to Dr. Bloom at Florida Univ and others. If there are 1 million people infected and each donated $50 or $100 thats a very big dollar amount for research. $50,000,000 or $100,000,000 million. How can we get this going and what would you recommend? I want to contribute, donate and get the people who are infected to donate.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks again.
the florida U treatment isn't expected to be successful so I don't encourage anyone to donate to them to be honest. It was just a small snipped of info in a study that made the news and got folks excited needlessly. when you read the full original study even they pretty much say they don't expect much in results from it :(  
how does oral herpes spread to people without having sex? can it spread thorugh sharing a bottle of water? sharing a glass, a cigarette? etc.

Oral herpes (HSV1 orally) is passed from the mouth to the genitals of another through oral sex.

Most cases of genital HSV 1 is acquired that way. Oral HSV1 (cold sores) can be passed to either the mouth or genitals of another pretty easily with cold sores present ot NOT PRESENT.
as adults, oral herpes is almost exclusively transmitted through romantic type kisses. Just sharing a drink or cig isn't enough. many other infections are very easily transmitted through sharing those things but not oral herpes.
Grace are there any biotech company's or university's that are on track for a cure? Where is the best site to find progress for curing herpes?
we don't have any cures for any viruses at this time.  when something looks promising and gets to stage 3 trials, trust me, I'll be posting the heck out of them for people to participate in!!
i have read AiCuris and novotech-cro are promising.Certainly npot a stage 3 trials. can you recommend sites that list advances in drugs that are in certain stages?

I also read and wanted your experitse that there is too much money in treatment and the cure would kill that money train. Any thoughts behind that thinking?
www.clinicaltrials.gov

not a lot of herpes research going on right now. with all 3 current herpes antivirals generic, not a lot of money going into education or research :(    most of it currently is herpes and hiv research since hsv2 increases the risk of hiv as well as makes hiv more active.

would a cure kill the money train? Oh heck no!  There is a ton of money to be made in a cure which is why companies continue to invest in it ( not to mention the prestige of coming up with a cure for a virus or even an effective vaccine against herpes  ).  I certainly have my conspiracy moments myself but not when it comes to a herpes cure. We once did a poll on another forum asking folks how much they would pay and most folks would be willing to pay $5000 or more for a cure. Since most folks don't even bother buying herpes antivirals to treat their herpes let alone buying them suppressively for a lifetime, far more money in  a cure for companies.
Grace what concerns for spreading this to kids should you be aware of if you have oral herpes? Can they just touch your skin and it infect them?

On the cure front, how long is it that company's are investigating a cure? What is your estimate in terms of years for this to happen? anything you're excited or interested in from a progress stand point?
no you can't transmit it to others just by touching your skin.

as I said, we don't have a cure for any viruses yet and certainly there are far more important cures than herpes. I don't really hold out hope for one anytime soon.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.