Herpes Community

PCR tests

I've been dealing with recurrent folliculitis (I believe that is what it is) in my groin. Specifically, the top (mons pubis) and only occasionally on the hair bearing labia majora. Only once had I gone to a Dr, because I believed I needed antibiotics, and they looked at it and said it was folliculitis(prescribed antibiotics and it cleared up).
However. I can't seem to get myself to stop wondering if it's herpes.  I get a STD test 2x per year, and the test includes a pcr herpes test - It's a cervical swab.
I've been negative for everything.
I'm curious to know,  how accurate is a PCR test when it is a swab from the cervix? The last time I was in I did have some of these sores/folliculitis/irritation happening, so if it was herpes it was "active" during the time of the swab.  
COMMUNITY LEADER
Pcr tests are very sensitive and  very good at picking up the virus when it's at the surface. Have you had a blood test as well?
The blood testing didn't include hsv tests, so no.
COMMUNITY LEADER
I would see if you can get an igg hsv2 bloodtest. No igm testing.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.