Painful Intercourse after Herpes

6 wks ago I was diagnosed with Type I Herpes...genital form.  I have taken the antiviral, Acyclovir 400 mg, which helped.  I have tried to resume intercourse 5x's now...and it's a no-go...VERY painful...feels like a sword entering me!
I can feel some achy-like discomfort throughout the day as well.  I went to see a gynocologist the other day...and everything looked and felt normal...normal Pap....no vaginal dryness...my partner says I feel wet and feels the same.
I researched your site...and see a few other frustrated women have also had the same problem.  I am wondering if the Herpes virus has attached itself to the vaginal nerves and I may have permanent nerve damage??  No signs of a yeast infection...no itching.  I am VERY frustrated and sad.  Up until the Herpes outbreak, I had a wonderful sex life.
I've been with the same partner for several years...I know this is not in my head.  Help!  I need some direction.
The Gyno said that I could try a hormonal cream that MAYBE might help or neurotin for the pain.  I know this is not hormonal.  Can you help me??
have you tried just using a regular lube for sex since it seems to be painful right now for you?

herpes wouldn't cause just pain with intercourse - you'd have pain all the time if you had developed any nerve issues from being infected with herpes genitally.

the hormonal cream I would assume would be topical estrogen. It helps to strengthen genital skin. it doesn't mean you have a hormonal problem. does that make sense?

grace
I agree with you...I don't believe it is hormonal...I'm not dry...just painful...and tried extra lube...but that was not helpful.
I believe the nerve-tissue has been altered since the outbreak.
This hormonal cream perhaps a try to help heal the vagina tissue ??
Worth a try.  Doing kegels is uncomfortable.  It's just all crazy...very frustrating.  I had a healthy sex life before the herpes.  The vagina rim and area somewhat uncomfortable throughout the day...seems worse or perhaps I'm just more focused on it now.  Help!  :(

You are reading content posted in the Herpes Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.