Herpes Community

Please help interpret my blood test results!!

Hi. I just called the lab and got my blood test results, and I need some help interpreting these. They told me that I'll have to call my doctor for help interpreting these, but what with it being a holiday, of course my doctor is not available today. So, if you guys could try to explain my results to me, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

HSV Type I AB IGG- EQUIVOCAL

HSV TYPE II AB IGG- NEGATIVE

HSV AB IGM- REACTIVE BUT NOT DIAGNOSTIC
Also, I just called the lab again to see if they had any numeric info they could give me associated with my test results.  They double checked and said that no they didn't have any numeric info.  
Any idea which lab you were tested thru? quest, labcorp?

Equivical is actually still negative. How long was it between the encounter you are worried about and the blood test?

grace

Hi Grace!  Thanks so much for your input and help.  I asked them what lab I was tested through.  She checked and apparently couldn't find that information.  So, equivocal means the same as negative?  I started dating and having sex with my boyfriend seven months ago.  After a few months into our relationship, we had me go on Depo-Provera for birth control and stopped using condoms.  I realize now that wasn't the smartest idea since I just took his word that he didn't have any STD's.  However, I have been 100% faithful to him and I feel pretty confident that he hasn't slept with anyone else since meeting me.  I just recently had some burning during urination and also noticed a few bumps on the inside of my vagina.  So, I went to Planned Parenthood.  The NP that examined me said that my bumps plus my symptoms seemed suspicious for herpes.  She didn't do a culture test or recommend a blood test.  She just automatically assumed I had it I guess and sent me on my way with a booklet and CD about herpes, and then they gave me a bunch of condoms.  I told her though that I really wanted to have a blood test done just to be sure, so she wrote out a slip for me to bring to the lab at my local hospital so that I could have the blood work done.  
Like I said before, my boyfriend and I have been having unprotected sex for several months now.  I've never had any problems or symptoms whatsoever since I started sleeping with him until just this past week or so which is when I decided to go to Planned Parenthood to be checked out.  

What about my IGM test result?  What does reactive but not diagnostic mean?  Reactive means positive, right?
go to your doctor or a dermatologist, not a planned parenthood nurse.
The igm test can not be used on adults for the purpose of diagnosing a newly acquired hsv infection. It should've never been drawn on you in the first place . it was a total waste of money :(   Has your bf had a herpes blood test yet? If not that should be your next step since you never had your symptoms cultured.  

And orillion - don't knock us nurses - some of us are pretty damn good!

grace

Thanks for letting me know Grace.  Fortunately, my insurance will completely cover the cost of my herpes blood tests.  No, my boyfriend has not had a herpes blood test yet.  

My HSV 2 test results were clearly negative.  However, I'm nervous that my HSV 1 test result came back as equivocal.  In a previous post to me, you said that equivocal is actually still negative.  From some research I've done online though, it sounds like equivocal herpes blood test results can mean that I don't have it yet but that I might be in the process of developing it.  Am I understanding that correctly?  
By the way, thanks so much Grace for you advice and input.  I really appreciate it.  Thanks to you too Orillion.  
HI  Grace , can you  shed some light  on the Difference  between
HSV 1 i gG  and HSV 1 IGM

some one  have been  tested and   the results  showed  up as
82 %  Positive   HSV 1 igG.

I  reserched  the difference  as to  the IGM and the Ig G  and  i  understand that  the  IGM is ofr newly or recently contracted  Herpes  and the  I GG  is  for  when  the individual  have  contracted it  in the past , however  the past  could have been  yesterday they did not  specifiy  a time period .

Please  help  on this  as  i  am unsure if  the individual  has Herpes one  or Herpes two [ Gential  Herpes ]
The  individual  have  one button on the shaft  of the penis[ that  showed up like  a week  ago] that when squeezed information or puss  is coming  out  from it .

thanks
Get your bf tested and see what his results are.

Don't sweat anything about hsv1 - by the time we get to the old age home - about 80% of us have it orally. It's THAT common!!!  Yes indeed at this point you are still negative for hsv1 on your testing but don't be surprised if at some point in the future you test + for it. it's not something many of us get thru life without.

grace
I'm  not aware of any test that would return a result of 82% positive for hsv1. Can you please recheck the results? Also it might be less confusing to post this in your own seperate post.  

grace
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.