Recent Questionable Exposure - HSV I IGG results

Please help - you guidance is greatly appreciated.

- 35 year-old male  
- No prior history of STDs, including Herpes - no cold sores, symptoms whatsoever
- Never been tested for HSV I or II
- Recent, questionable exposure - partner of unknown STD status
- 10 days post exposure did a Full 'Recent Exposure' STD panel
- Negative for everything except IgM I/II Combination - result of 1.40 High (Did some research and realize this test is unreliable)
- Wanted to base-line my herpes history so got type specific HSV IgG AB I / II tests done 14 days post exposure - results: HSV I 16.3 High / HSV II <0.90
- 19 days post exposure - no symptoms

Specific questions for the group:
- Given only 14 days between potential exposure and HSV I positive of 16.3, does this mean I have likely been positive for a while (i.e. this is not a result of my recent potential exposure)?
- Only possibility for HSV I transfer during the recent potential exposure is receiving oral sex - how likely is it that I would by asymptomatic at 19 days if HSV I oral to genital transfer actually occurred?
- I plan to get follow-up testing done at 6 weeks post exposure - anything other confirmatory / follow-up testing you would suggest?

Thank you for the help

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi testing positve for hsv1 above 3.5 at 14  days post exposure would indicate that youve had it since childhood. Upward of 75% of the population have it.
dave
Helpful - 0
Thanks, Dave.

You are reading content posted in the Herpes Community

Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.