Herpes Community

Recurring Burning Lips!? Help!

For over 3 years or so I've had this recurring burning lip episode that comes and goes at random intervals. My lips swell and get bright bright pink/redish. They burn and tingle, and then get dry and crack. I feel tingling/burning in concentrated places on my lips but never see any visible blisters or bumps!! I've never had any cold sores or fever blisters.

I've been tested via Herpeselect IgG 1&2 blood serum tests and the results have come back 0.3 for both!! Most recently tested March 2008. So, it's saying I don't have oral or genital herpes.

I don't know what this is, but it's really bothersome, and I don't know if it's contagious. Are there any other conditions that could be causing this to happen?! Could this be another STD I'm not aware of (I get regularly tested for EVERYTHING every 6 months just to be safe). I don't want to give this to my boyfriend. I've very careful not to kiss him when this is happening, and not to perform oral sex. I'm really really concerned! Thank you for helping me!
Are you on any medication for anything,maybe something you only take once in a while ?

Daisy  
I don't take any medications...and it doesn't seem to be triggered by anything. I'm scared that I have something contagious! Right now I have a sore throat and I'm experiencing that tingling lip thing...I'm going nuts reading oral herpes symptoms and I keep freaking out! I have a sore through and I have what looks like grayish spots on my tonsils. Isn't that a symptom?
You tested negative for both, having a sore throat is something that happens to most of us at some time or other I don't think it is related to Herpes,the burning lips I am thinking is an allergy to something although finding what it could be can be a mammoth task ......
Don't read stuff on the Internet an certainly don't look at pictures they always show the very worst cases which few people ever experience.

Daisy
If it's an allergy it could be a very everyday thing that you wouldn't give any thought to as being the trigger ..... my Mum had a similar thing a few years back and it took a while before she realised it was from fiddling with her silver necklace and running it across her lips while watching TV she suffered for a very long time before realising this was the culprit..... I may be way of mark here,it's just a thought to be aware of objects you may be quite unconciously touching your lips with,we all do it......  

Daisy
I got tested over 6 months after my last possible exposure, would that be enough time for the blood tests to be valid? I've heard 3-4 months is conclusive.
If I got tested over 6 months past my last possible exposure would it be safe to assume I don't have Herpes? I was tested for HSV 1&2 via Herpeselect igg. I just don't know if I need to go back to my doctor and be retested!
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.