Herpes Community

Risk of Herpes Transmission

Hello, thanks so much for your help!

I had my first (and only!) sexual encounter with a sex worker on November 21/22. We had very brief unprotected moment of oral sex when she placed her mount around my penis. I immediately stopped her and demanded a condom. I put it on, and we continued to have oral sex. We then had vaginal sex, protected, though the condom rolled down a bit. The head and opening on my penis remained fully covered however.

We then took off the condom, she fingered herself vigorously, and gave me a vigorous hand job. I asked her afterwards about her status, and she claimed to be negative for it all. No noticeable blisters or sores on her mouth. Who knows.

My questions are about my real risk for STIs. I am partnered. I seriously regret this decision, tremendously, and am eager to return to a normal sexual life with her. But i don't want to give her anything, but I also don't want to wait six weeks for conclusive tests for STIs that I was not at real risk of contracting anyway.

1. What is my real risk of Herpes? The waiting period is so long (12 weeks) for conclusive results, but if there is not real risk of having contract these STIs, do I really have enough reason to worry about them to hold off on resuming normal sexual practices with partner until I have conclusive results?

I want to be safe with my partner, but I'd like to know just how real the risk is that I contracted something, based on the specific details of this regrettable encounter.

1. It has been 11 days and no symptoms. I know a lot of people who have HSV1 and HSV2 are asymptomatic, but that is usually after the first, initial outbreak right? For persons who are newly infected (either with HSV 1 and HSV 2), do we know what the symptomatic rates are in general? In other words, how likely is it that I, 10 days later, would notice symptoms if I were newly infected with 1 or 2? Someone at ASHA said it was 50% likely that I contracted HSV and 50% likely that I am asymptomatic, I do not know if I should believe those numbers. They seem super high!

2. Related: I know that symptoms could take as long as three weeks before they appear, but this is highly unlikely, correct? Would you agree that it is mostly like they would appear 2-10 days at most, and most likely within the first 5 days after possible exposure by oral or vaginal sex with HSV1 or HSV2 positive partner? I know that it may take 21 days for an outbreak to appear and that sometimes one can be positive and one hardly ever has an outbreak, but how common is that really? Handsfield suggested thats often b/c people don't know they have outbreaks, not that they actually don't have them.

Finally, I am having a hard time squaring the apparently high rate of HSV diagnosis and the rather consistent consensus among experts, Hook and Handsfield, that in cases like mine, transmission of HSV2 (assuming that my partner was positive and/or shedding) would be very rare, unlikely, and so does not warrant my concern, especially in regards to being HSV2 infected and passing it on to my partner. If you could just give me a few minutes, I'd be grateful.

Thank you.
Hi, the brief unprotected oral is considerably low risk activity as is the protected vaginal. However since you have a partner then testing would be recommended for her protection. Sex workers are exposed numerous times so the risk is a bit higher than everyday folks. Test below at the correct window period.
1. herpes-----3 months
2. syphilis-----6 weeks
Analizing risk factors does not play in here, as even the lowest risk is risk enough for your long term partner.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.