Herpes Community

Shingles on thighs

I am 28 years old male. Two months back I had a Shingles outbreak on my right thigh. The lesions were mild and I took the medication and the scars are almost gone. But I still feel the pain even after two months on my thighs. I also feel kind of headache. There is still some redness in the affected area but no new scars. I am worried whether the pain is a new outbreak or is this common?  

I also read that it is common amongst people with low immune system like HIV infected. I have had a couple of encounters with escorts in the past but have always had protected sex. Is there anything to worry about?
did they do actual testing to diagnose shingles or was it a visual diagnosis only?

did you treat it initially?

at this point, I recommend being seen for a full work up. There is a condition called PHN that is common with shingles - if I recall it's half of folks who have a shingles ob experience it.  

also considering the location, if it was a visual diagnosis of shingles only, seeking out a type specific herpes igg blood testing 3 months after you last had sex isn't a bad idea too to make sure this isn't really hsv2 and not shingles.

best of luck!

grace
Thanks Grace.

It was a visual diagnosis. I treated it within a day of seeing the scars.

The pain is very negligible and hence I havent bothered to go for further medication.
definitely due to your age a further work up is in order. it's unfortunate they didn't do a lesion culture when you have your initial symptoms :(
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.