Herpes Community

Should I be worried?

Hello, today I engaged in unprotected oral (both giving and receiving) and vaginal sex with my girlfriend. After I finished, I feel that my upper lip has been tingling. I don't know if I felt it tingling before we engaged in sexual activity, but in case my lip was tingling before sex, is there any chance that I had herpes and passed on herpes to her genitals? Should I be worried?
I'm really anxious, so if anyone can please answer, I will be very grateful.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Do you have hsv1 orally? Ever get cold sores? If not then it's probably nothing. If you do get cold sores tbe odds are still in your favor that you didn't pass the virus
I do get cold sores, but I haven't had one in about a year. I know that I have oral herpes because of the cold sores, but I haven't had a cold sore in about a year. We have been engaging in unprotected sex (both orally and vaginally) for months now and we are completely monogamous. I'm just worried that I'm in the prodromal stage of having a cold sore, and passed the virus genitally.
It is also worth mentioning that she said that she has had a cold sore in the past too, so I believe that we both have HSV-1, but I'm just hoping that the virus wasn't passed genitally.
I also just recently got over an acute bronchitis, I don't know if that is worth mentioning or anything.
COMMUNITY LEADER
I think you both should get tested and see for sure. If you both have oral hsv1 then the odds of you giving it to her is extremely low. For most people having hsv1 orally protects them from getting it genitaly
Okay, thank you. So if we both have HSV-1 orally, it is difficult for us to contract HSV-1 genitally? How about contract HSV-2?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Yes, very difficult. Your hsv1 will have no affect on contracting hsv2
Let me rephrase my question, because I don't understand your answer for the most part. Even though we both have HSV-1 orally, it is still possible for us to contract HSV-2?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Yes, having hsv1 offers little to no protection against hsv2. Now, you do understand that hsv1 and hsv2 are two differant strains of herpes and has nothing to do with location.
I do understand. Thank you so much... But after reading my question and background, I shouldn't be worried though right?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Correct.
Thanks so much for everything. Have a good one.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.