Suppressive therapy with acyclovir is 800mg 1x/day?

I was on Valtrex 500mg 1x/day for almost 2 years and never had an outbreak. I wanted to stop taking it all together to see what would happen. I had about 6 outbreaks in 1.5 years. I went to a new doc and today she said I need to go on suppressive therapy with acyclovir 800mg 1x/day. She said this is the new standard protocol (or something to that effect). I'm seeing where it says acyclovir 400mg 2x/day.

My questions are:
1. has anyone heard of 800mg 1x/day is the standard?
2. anyone know the benefits of 800mg 1x/day vs 400mg 2x/day (besides having to take less pills, which is nice)
3. Anyone suspect why my doc (dermatologist) would be giving me acyclovir, when I mentioned several times that I used to take Valtrex and never had an outbreak with that. (I do recall her saying before it's cheaper than valtrex)

Thanks!!
Just want to clarify... when I said "I'm seeing where it says acyclovir 400mg 2x/day.", what I mean is, I can see many people on this forum say they take 400mg of acyclovir 2x/day.
acyclovir needs to be taken twice a day for suppressive therapy.  perhaps ask to be shown the research they are referring to :)

grace
also you never have to treat your herpes if you don't want to. if you want to stop suppressive therapy, you certainly can.

You are reading content posted in the Herpes Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.