Herpes Community

Tested positive for HSV1 and 2

Recently tested positive for HSV1 and HSV2... Have never had an outbreak of lesions or anything of the sort (that I was aware of). The only thing i had on my genital is itchy from dried skin and i had this for many years already. My Posibble exposure on 2/4/17

My results:

HSV1 IgG 2.3
HSV2 IgG 1.1

I'm assuming that the positive IGG means I definitely have Herpes-1 and 2 :(

However, I have now read that an IGG < 3.5  may be a false positive. Is that true? Is this apply for both IGG or either one of them.

However, given that I have never had an outbreak, is it possible that I never will? Or was it perhaps so minor that I didn't even notice? What can I expect?
COMMUNITY LEADER
I would retest in a few weeks. Your hsv2 value is so low. People with hsv1 are more likely to have a false positive for hsv2. If your test comes back with low values again seek out the western blot test from the university of Washington. Contact the west overheights clinic in portland and they can set it all up for you.
Thank you. So the low index value only occur for hsv 2? Not hsv 1?
COMMUNITY LEADER
They can occur for both. I personally have never had someone test low possitive for both. How long ago was your last exposure?
About 9 week after exposure. But before that i never tested for hsv.
COMMUNITY LEADER
They can occur for both. I personally have never had someone test low possitive for both. Enough time has passed for proper testing. Hsv1 igg tests are not as accurate and can miss up to 25% of infections. You may have a very old hsv1 oral infection and don't get cold sores. This is extremely common. Hsv2 igg bloodtests are very sensitive and can pick up hsv1 antibodies. Thus the low positive
So that means i have that hsv 1 for a long time already? And never had an outbreak ( what im aware of).. is it possible?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Im not saying that with certainty. I'm saying that it's very possible.
Most people get hsv as young children and have a few outbreaks and that's it. They don't get cold sores after that.
Oh i see. Since you were here i would like to ask you something, is it body pain are the symptom for hsv? I got this pain like muscle pain behind my back at scapula. Its like pain when u wake up with wrong sleeping position.
COMMUNITY LEADER
No. Don't read into the hsv symptoms list. This will surely mess with your head.
Oh i will. U said u never came across with someone tested positive with both hsv 1 & 2 low index value? So it should one if them be on higher index value such as >3.5? My doctor said he would go to clinical symptom such as an outbreak rather then look at the index number.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Many people never get an outbreak. My point was hsv1 tests are not very accurate ymso you can't fully trust a negative or a loe positive as the test can miss 25% of infections. I believe your hsv2 to be a false low positive
From your understanding is it safe for me to have sex with my gf? Protected or unprotected including oral. When i test positive i become afraid to have sex with my gf.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.