Herpes Community

What can affect a Herpes Blood Test?

I recently decided to get a blood test done for HSV1 and 2.  No typical symptoms, but I was reading that some people never have any symptoms, so I wanted to get checked out.  I have had about 10 total sexual partners, and only one that I really gave oral sex to.  A few women I just kissed a bit down there, but I have always used a condom.  I have noticed a slightly red fordyce on my scrotum, and some small zits around my mouth.  I also take coconut oil as a general health supplement, one tablespoon a day and use it on my face before bed.  I know that it can inhibit viruses including herpes, but I was wondering if it would affect a PCR or an Antibody test for the virus?  I expect labs back Monday, and hopefully it comes back negative, if so I will still have to get retested in a few months since I have had recent partners.  Thank you very much.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Nothing should affect a pcr or sawb test. A igg test can have a low false positive for hsv 2 if you have hsv 1. It sometimes crosses over.
The igg test can give a low false positive if it picks up an odd protein.  Anything less than a 3.5 would need a confirmation test. The western blot is the way to go for a low possitive confirmation.
Let me know how it goes
COMMUNITY LEADER
Condom protected sex is a great way to prevent any std. Hsv has a hard time penetrating the scrotum as the skin is very thick. Thats why almost always the initial outbreak is on the penis. It is the point of the most friction and the skin is very thin. I would confident you are ok.
Thank you for the reply.  I have received oral sex from two previous partners in Feb and March.  I have had some dryness on lips, skin shedding over the whole lip, only one crack on a cold dry day, but there was no previous sore or pus.  The dry throat is getting better, and there is no soreness at the moment.  I am concerned about a bump that I just felt earlier today, no pain, itching or redness at the moment either.  It is a whiteish grayish color.  I just hate the waiting game.  How long would it take for a real herpes blister to develop?  My last encounter was nearly a week ago.  If so, should I let it develop to get a culture sample, or should the blood tests cover it?  Thank you again.
COMMUNITY LEADER
None of that sounds like hsv. You can have your Physician or a dermotoligist take a look.
A hsv blister will start out as a small red bump then progress into a fluid filled blister. This will take a day or two. It will pop and scab over then heal. All said it takes a few weeks to heal.
Your tests that come in will tell you if you have an established infection. Keep in mind most outbreaks happen 3-5 days after exposure and rarely take up to 20 days. With no classic outbreak symptoms and your protected sex I doubt very much you have a genital infection. If you do have hsv1 then I would bet it's from childhood and you don't get cold sores.
Thanks again.  I have read the same thing about the time frame and that HSV1 is more prominent in terms of symptoms than HSV2.  Can you point me to any statistics? I have read percentages, but I was wondering about actual numbers of people and symptoms.  I am curious if taking coconut oil would prevent an outbreak, or mitigate one.  I will let you know the results Monday.  
COMMUNITY LEADER
It wont prevent an outbreak.  Asymptomatic hsv1 of the genitals is rare. Hsv2 does happen but more often than not the symptoms were just mild and passed off as something else. Good luck and let me know
I hate to be a bother, but I have some new symptoms.  It now burns when I pee, not too bad and it just started.  I am hoping it is dehydration, I have been lazy about drinking water today.  I have been fixated on this, which I should not be, I know.  I already have anxiety from medications, but the condition lingers even after being off of them for a while. I also have a small red bump at the base of my shaft, which could be an ingrown hair, it is hard to tell if it is connected at both sides of the skin.  I will post some pics.  Last message until lab work, I promise.

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/someonone1994/library/
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.