Herpes Community

What do low positive results for IgG mean?

I recently got tested at LabCorp for HSV-1 and HSV-2 separately and it came back with low positives for both.

HSV1 - 1.17
HSV2 - 1.49

The test for HSV1 and HSV2 were taken on separate days because I didn't know there were two kinds.  Can anyone give me some insights on these low positive numbers and the possibility of a false positive?

They are indeed quite low positive numbers.

HSV1 testing is a bit hit and miss for some people. The odds are with you having an oral HSV1 infection given this result. Do you get oral cold sores?

HSV2 is falsely positive quite often. This is more so the case for people who are HSV1 positive.

I don't think you do, but do you have any genital symptoms that suggest herpes?
Hi thanks for the response.  

I do not get cold sores.

I had the test done because I went to the doctor for some genital sores that seemed to transpire from an infected hair follicle.  The physical symptoms could be herpes though.

I've been in a monogamous relationship for over 5 years and she thought she may have passed on a yeast infection to me.  We would be a bit shocked if I was HSV-2 positive.  She is symptoms free.
What you describe does not sound like herpes.

In your case, the Westernblot will provide conclusive answers on your status without further confusion that often arises with IgG testing. See the UofW website for details on obtaining the test.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.