Herpes Community

What were effective treatments for your genital herpes?

Treatment with medication is effective in shortening the initial outbreak of the infection, lowers the chance that the infection will come back, and makes any later outbreaks less severe.There are similar antiviral drugs available for the treatment of genital herpes infection, These antiviral medications vary in cost and how often they should be taken. All should be taken for 7 to 10 days. The patient's doctor may extend the course of therapy if ulcers have not healed in 10 days. Examples of these antiviral medications include:acyclovir (Zovirax),famciclovir (Famvir), andvalacyclovir (Valtrex).For preventing later genital herpes outbreaks, people with recurring infections also may benefit from antiviral medications. Treatment is started when the recurrence first begins and continues for five days.For continuous prevention, individuals who have frequent outbreaks (generally over six recurrences per year) can control the outbreaks by taking medication every day. Acyclovir, famciclovir, and valacyclovir are all used to treat recurrent disease. This is known as suppressive therapy. Suppressive therapy has been shown to decrease the frequency of genital herpes recurrences in those who have frequent recurrences, and many individuals taking this treatment report no symptomatic outbreaks.
Herpes is a viral infection and thus there are no immediate results. It takes its time to heal -- generally a period of seven painful days after which it gradually subsides. Painkillers help in reducing the amount of pain.
I appreciate the straight forward and seemingly concise information provided here.  However, I am experiencing outbreaks on my buttocks, as much as 5 separate lesions at a time as many times as 5 or six times a month.  I am not sexually active and eat healthy foods.  I have taken nuts and seeds out of my diet because of the fear of causing outbreaks. I am highly allergic to the anti viral medications used to control outbreaks.  This is my question:  Could there be some vitamin, mineral or other supplement that my body is missing that leaves my body open to these outbreaks? I've heard something about L-Lysine.
For those who have genital herpes it is so important to have a good multi vitamin and mineral supplement. Eat healthier, must exercise, high B vitamins.  Definitely take the Lysine-over counter purchase.  Keep drinking and partying to a minimal.  Your body needs to stay healthy at all costs to fight this issue.  Proper rest, proper food and proper vitamins are essential.
I believe I have had herpes for over 40 years; before there was a name for it. Its frequency has increased unfortunately. At first I could control by not getting too hot, eating yogurt. Then I started taking acidophilus over the counter. Now I take it twice a day plus when I have symptoms. Guess I will have to graduate to the anti-viral drugs.
Hello, I have genital herpes and just want to reassure anyone who has an STD that you are not alone. There are millions of us and we come from all walks of life.
As soon as the tingling sensation starts, I use nail remover on the area. The area is always the same, on the vulva, up on pubic hair, very obvious. The nail remover chase away the blister even before it appears. I have used all medications in the past. The nail remover acts faster and very efficiently within a single day.
Is there any chance that you won't get the virus although you made long hours of sex activities with an infected woman? (genital herpes)  Hope I get a reply fast.  thank you
Is herpes can acquire hereditary? I'll appreciate your answer .. thanks..
Is sore eyes a symptom of Herpes? I have not many outbreaks over the years but when I do, I have to get a prescription for cortisone eye drops, is this a common thing????
IS THERE ANY COMPLETE TREATMENT FOOR THIS DEASES .AND IT WILL NOT OCCURE AGAIN IN EVER LIFE
I use the following rememdies and may also be beneficial to others too - cold ice packs, paracetamol taken every 4 hours, and i also take the amino acid L-Lysine daily (two each morning, but if an outbreak occurs, i take one each hour for 8 hours, a pharmasist told me doing this is ok).
Definitely find the only way to control Herpes as a woman is to always take multiple vitamins!!  I find that my "monthlies" lower my body's resistance and leave my body weaker and more prone to outbreaks!
I've suffered outbreaks for maybe ten years now. With my most recent outbreak, I've also been fighting a cold and sinus infection. I have been taking oregano oil for the sinus infection which seems to have had a positive effect on the virus as well! Knock on wood; I have not gotten a full outbreak, only the beginning sensations.  I urge all to try this treatment. Oregano oil can be used in a glass of water, just add 5 to 10 drops in a glass of water.
I have been with my husband for 10 years. We have never had other partners during this time.  the symptoms i am experiencing sound like herpes. My question is can you have the virus for many years and never have an outbreak or symptoms.
I have found that baby Orajel helps to numb the area to help with associated pain on the affected area.
I've just been recently diagnosed with genital herpes. I'm currently taking an anti-viral drug to help with my initial outbreak, and I feel humbled knowing that I'm not alone in this fight.
i hav genital herpes at penis area, what should i do for that????............please told me the treatement
I HAVE GENITAL HERPES AND I THOUGHT THIS COULD NEVER HAPPEN TO ME BUT I THOUGHT HE LOVED ME LIKE I LOVED HIM I HAVE HAD AN OUTBREAK AND SOMETIMES I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO BUT I SERVE A POWERFUL GOD AND I KNOW HE WANT PUT MORE ON ME THAN I CAN BARE AND ITS GOOD KNOW THAT I NOT ALONE WITH THIS PROBLEM BUT I NEED HELP ON HOW TO CONTROL IT I WANT MY LOVE LIFE BACK RIGHT NOW I DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT I JUST TRY TO STAY HEALTHY FOR MY FAMILY
I've had minor outbreaks since 2007, perhaps once a year or so. I always keep a small tube of Zovirax at home, and when they happen this clears it up within a few days.
I was diagnosed last year. Shortly after the corner of my mouth started cracking open. My doctor prescribed a antifungal ointment with a steriod. This healed my mouth overnight. Curious i tried it on my sores during a outbreak. It was amazing! It cured them in 2 days. You couldnt even tell they were ever there. Sadly i ran out of the ointment over time and now my doctor refuses to write it again stating the side effects. I didnt have any. This treatment was amazing and should be considered. However it seems if you dont have this virus then you really dont care what treats it or makes the person feel normal once again. Just saying!
I have been taking lysine over the counter.  When the symptoms occur, I take three tablets a day and it is usually gone by the next. It has been a fantastic discovery for me.
I just discovered that I have herpes. I didn't know what it was initially, but I saw little rashes on my pubic region that developed into sores. I went to a clinic and after close examination, I was told that it was herpes. I was devastated when I found out.
If the legions are gone but the area around the penis is still red, but not hurting is the virus still active?
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.