Herpes Community

aldara side effects or herpes

Hi, I had genital warts back in 2002 (3-4 small ones). The doctor used the nitro gun and froze them but he missed one. It was a very small one, hardly visible, so I didn't do much about it. I went to the doctor again 2 months ago and he suggested to use Aldara on it because he didn't keep a nitro gun. I had been using it for about 2 months when I developed this sore on my penis, size of a quater, but not round. There were no blisters but just a sore as if the skin had been peeled off. It was slightly weepy, pink, shiny and had white pus like formation/skin on it. I went to the doctor and he said that it could be herpes. They have taken a sample of the sore for culture and blood and have said it would take a week. The sore is not on the wart itself but close to it where the cream did get applied. I would use the entire packet and spread the cream to surrounding areas and sometimes would take a late shower on the weekend and so it would stay longer. The doctor said that if it was Aldara side effects then it would have happened on the wart itself too. But the area effected was the pink skin near the head of the penis whereas the wart is on the darker skin on the shaft. So I am thinking maybe the part on the head was more sensitive. Is it possible this is a Aldara side effect. Last time I was sexually active was 2 months ago just about the time I started Aldara. I was with her for 4 months. She was never diagnosed with Herpes as far as I know and never had a visible breakout when I was with her. The same with the girl before that with whom I was with for a year. I never had a Herpes breakout before and was never diagnosed with it. I had absolutely no pain or burning and no other symptom. If this was a first breakout wouldn't it be closer to the time I contracted it (atleast 2 months) in *most* cases ? Also isn't the first breakout painful and severe and with blisters and other symptoms in *most* cases? Given all this, what are the chances this is herpes? Also, does Aldara trigger an outbreak of herpes, if it is herpes? It seems more than a coincidence that it should happen when I was using Aldara. Please let me know. Thanks!
At this point it's a wait and see sort of situation. It could be either or.  I can help you with your blood test results when you get them back. Just keep adding all new questions to this same thread so your whole story is there for folks to glance thru easily :)

grace
I called the doctor's office 3 days after the tests. I had asked to do a comprehensive STD screen. When I called, the assitant/nurse told me only one result had come back - negative for HIV. I called again today (6 days later) and she said the finalized results were out but she could not tell me because the doctor is on vacation today and tomorrow and will only be back the day after tomorrow when I have my appointment. I knew about the Doctor being out on vacation today and tomorrow but I am not sure why she would feel OK to tell me about HIV negative on phone last week but not feel OK to tell me results of the herpes (and other) STD tests. Does this mean that it's bad news? If it was standard policy/law to tell face to face, she would have done it for HIV test too. When I asked her about it she said "I just told you the HIV one so you wouldn't worry". The wait is driving me crazy :(
It sounds like it's their policy or something. it also could be that the person you spoke to didn't know how to interpret the rest of your tests either.

grace
Thank you all for your advice and help. All tests came back negative including the HSV1 and HSV2 blood reports and the skin culture from the sore. It was a side effect of aldara on top of which I got a mild bacterial infection. They saw the bacterial activity in the sore but nothing else. My sore has healed completely now though the skin is still tender and yet to come back to normal color. The HIV, Chlamydia, Syphilis, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C all were negative too.  To people who used aldara and got what the doctor says or you think look like mild, hardly painful, herpes-like, weepy open sores, please don't be afraid and get a test done to calm your mind. Also, use Aldara according to instructions. Don't overuse it and make sure you wash it off well the next morning. Also, I would prefer nitro freezing than using a chemical. Nitro freezing was absolutely painful and quick. But please get the herpes test done as soon as possible since if the sores close the skin culture tests won't be as reliable. And always use a condom and pick your partners well and insist on them getting a STD screen before you become intimate with them. I know more about herpes than I ever did before and I am glad I do now. The fact that you can get it despite using a condom through genital skin contact and despite the fact that your partner never had a breakout or the fact that you can get it through oral sex and even cold sores makes it absolutely essential you be careful. Also, if someone you like or love has herpes, try to have the strength of character to look beyond that. It's unfortunate that they have herpes but there are so many other things that are wrong with other people that are far worse. Herpes is afterall just a skin condition - it's not dirty, it's does not mean that your partner was promiscous, just unlucky. It is managable and with precaution your partner may never get it though there is always a risk. There are many wonderful people out there with this condition and it breaks my heart to think that people have so much stigma against genital herpes.
glad your tests came back negative :)

grace
I just wanted to submit an errata. I said "Nitro freezing was absolutely PAINFUL...". But I meant to say "Nitro freezing was absolutely PAINLESS...". The only reason the Doctor recommended aldara was because I just had one very very very small wart that he wasn't even sure was from HPV and it was too small for a gun. I would not prefer any chemical in comparison to nitro freezing unless nitro freezing doesn't work at all for you.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.