Herpes Community

chances of getting herpes 2 if have herpes 1

I recently got a blood test for herpes, and the test showed positive for hsv-1.  I thought I read somewhere that if you have hsv-1 in your system, your chances of getting hsv-2 is slim.  Is this true?  If it is does this mean hsv-1 makes you immune to hsv-2?
I'm going to say that you can still get HSV2 and you are not immune to it. If you have unprotected sex with someone who has it then you can still get it.
I had read the same thing somewhere, that if you have 1 you are not likely to get the other. Well, i recently tested + for both. When i asked my dr., he said its just the opposite, you are more likely to get the other if you are more likely to get both.
Actually hsv1 doesn't give you any significant protection at all from contracting hsv2.  The groups that have the highest hsv1 infection rates, also have the highest hsv2 infection rates.

Hsv1 does take the edge off of a hsv2 infection though and makes it more likelythat you'll be infected with hsv2 and never know it until tested.

grace
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.