Herpes Forum

herpes? ???

Hi, 27 yr old male. I am very confused about what is going on. 20 days ago i had protected sex with an escort.  2 weeks later i started having a sore throat (upper part, near palate of mouth, maybe tonsils). This turned to sharp, GERD like stomach pains overnight, which have lasted for a week (getting better), and moved throughout my stomach and under the solar plexus. The doctor said i did not have a stomach flu (no nausea, diarrhea). 4 days ago i noticed a handful of tiny red dots on my glans, and the next day they turned to a red irritated patch, not especially blistery looking, but now they have tiny red scabs on them. (all very very small, like 1mm).  I also noticed what might have been one larger, pimple sized blister on the scrotum, it looked like it was already broken (watery looking), and the area on the scrotum around it was a little itchy. that is healed over now.  what is confusing me is my scrotum is extremely itchy, all red, and inflamed looking.  My gf 4 yrs ago got cold sores, is this an old HSV1 due to stress, or a new HSV2? When i was with that girlfriend i did notice once an inch sized patch of redness on the penis shaft that went away in around 2 days, so i never figured it was herpes. university doctor and he said he couldnt test the spots on the glans because they werent clearly blistering, and ive been tested for chlamydia and gonorrea and syphillis and gotten negative results.  Before I got the sore throat my lymph nodes were a little sore, and i thought it might be due to pollen allergies, since i feel fatigued a lot this time of year. I also have a throbbing pain in my kneecap that is totally foreign to me as well as an achy lower back. When i had the G.I. problems worst my whole body was pretty achy, especially in the joints. Is it possible that the symptoms are all due to allergies? Oh and the sore throat did not feel at all like a GERD throat, it was way up in my throat and came with a headache. thanks
Your symptoms don't suggest herpes to me.  Have you had an antibody test done?  If not, you want an IgG antibody test.  What did your university doctor think about your red scrotum?  

Terri
SO I went to the clinic and they said that the red and itchy scrotum is probably not related to whatever was on the glans.  They said that the tiny scabs that are no on the glans don't look like a typical herpes reaction, but that if they were to guess at anything it would be herpes. I took a benadryl in the early am because of the itching and it seemed to help, and now my scrotum is less red and less itchy.  anxiety? pollen? i havent been using any new products. Do you think its likely that i contracted a new herpes (HSV2) from the sex worker 20 days ago (i used a condom, and the herpes-like symptoms were on the glans), or do you think this  is from my girlfriend 4 years ago who got cold sores? I'd like to know whether i have HSV1 or HSV2, at least for my current girlfriends sake, but i guess the antibody IgG test wouldnt be conclusive after only 20 days anyway right? the doc said its definitely not HPV.
You've jumped to the conclusion that this is herpes, and I'm not sure that's the place to go with this.  Have you looked on line at pictures of candida balanitis?  try this, is yours similar? http://www.ihmf.org/OnLineLearningZone/Images/Atlas13.gif.

You could certainly get a herpes antibody test now and see what your present status is and then repeat the test in 4 months.

I think it is not likely that you contracted HSV 2 at a one time encounter with a commercial sex worker, wearing a condom.  It isn't impossible, but not so likely.

Terri
It didnt look especially like that, but not dissimilar. there werent any white spots, just small red dots at first and then a slightly red raised area and then tiny scabbed dots.  Im also pretty sure there is a cold sore on my mouth, my lips got incredibly dry and a bit flaky the 3rd day i had the spot on my glans (I never have dry lips), and last night i noticed a little red patch in the corner of my mouth that looks like a really mild cold sore.  Im pretty sure this is herpes, my question is this: is it possible that I got herpes on my glans and on my lips from the encounter with the escort? i don't think she touched either of those spots with anything more than a graze, could i have spread it from the testes or the penis to the mouth myself? Or can one have an initial reaction years after one first gets herpes? my ex gf (3 yrs ago now) had cold sores on her mouth quite frequently.  So at this moment Ive experienced a) a very sore throat and headache followed by stomach upset b) a small spot on the glans, and c) a mild cold sore d) achy joints and lower back and e) general fatigue.  All of these began about 2 weeks after the protected encounter. The encounter also stressed me out a fair bit though, is it possible i would have all these typically "initial" symptoms years later from my ex?
Also, tonight my scrotum remains inflamed, very itchy (a kind of burning itch), and red/shiny. it is especially so in one specific area. I think that when i was looking at it there was even some small clear liquid spots. Is this indicative of genital herpes? could this be HSV1 presenting in a non typical way down there? I was under the impression that with herpes this all happened at once, not in different splotches.  also, if it is candidasis or something, could that show up in the lips?
All of your symptoms on your lips are very non-specific.  I can't help you know what this is on the computer.  The scrotum sounds very much like a fungal infection that many men experience.  Have you tried treating this with anything like an antifungal cream?  I'm curious about why you aren't going in to have these symptoms tested by a clinician?  And have you yet had an antibody test?

Terri
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.