Herpes Community

laser hair removal and hsv 1

I was diagnosed with genital HSV-1 two weeks ago.  I am considering laser hair removal for the bikini areas.  I am wondering if I should wait a few months or if it is okay to go ahead with this.  Also, should I take Valtrex to supress an outbreak if I do?  What is the typical course of suppressive therapy for a cosmetic procedure like this?  Would this likely cause an outbreak?  
I'd just wait a few more weeks yet since your initial infection is still running its course.  

hsv1 genitally tends not to reoccur very often.  anything that is a "trauma" to the genital area can trigger a recurrence but hard to tell if the laser hair removal will cause you to have recurrences or not. You can always start valtrex 5 days prior to the procedure to try to ward off a recurrence if you are concerned.  

grace
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.