Herpes Community

non-stop severe cold sores

I have experienced non-stop severe cold sores for almost three months. I know how I got infected, and know I've never had them before. They cover the outer half of both lips, top and bottom). I've tried acyclovir and generic valtrex, with no relief. Not even a two hour break. Still taking generic valtrex (1 gram twice a day). I am taking Thompson's lip relief (lysine, vit c, zinc, bioflavanoids) and an immune support (andrographis,olive leaf, echinacea), and have been for a few weeks. I apply Super Lysine and lemon balm cream. I cut out caffeine (ouch!) and have eliminated chocolate, oats, wheat, raisins, brown rice, and any other foods from the 'no no' list. I am eating foods high in lysine. I stay out of the sun, and in fact, have just stopped leaving the house for fear of sun exposure.

My questions:
dosage of valacyclovir -- would it make sense to raise the dose?
Or pay the way higher cost of Valtrex?
is it possible the 400mg 3x day acyclovir was not a high enough dose?
Would zovirax be a better idea?

I have heard that these drugs don't work for everyone. I am searching for a new doctor, and would like to be able to present ideas for other prescriptions so as to not waste more time and money.
this isn't likely to be herpes going on ( or if it was herpes at one point, it isn't now ).  I recommend either an ENT or a dermatology consult at this point.

no need to avoid foods because of herpes. the lysine/arginine theory didn't hold up outside of the test tube. they are actually using arginine to treat herpes is research now which further disproves the need for avoiding certain foods.  

stop the topicals you are applying too in case you are having reactions to something in them.  

grace
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.